65

My heart sank as I looked into San's concerned eyes. I opened my mouth to respond, but nothing seemed to come out.

"Who's Bora, Sun-hee?" he repeated.

"Just a friend of mine," I mumbled.

He sighed before placing the phone back down.

"Bora as in purple, right?" he said.

"Yeah, so?" I asked.

"Purple's my favorite color. You remember that, right?"

I nodded my head, feeling unsure about where the conversation was headed.

"You probably didn't know this, but my grandma's favorite color is purple as well. She loves it so much that she said she even named my mother after it."

"I can grill the rest of the meat if you want. Your hand must be so tired," I said, trying to quickly change the subject.

"A while back, you told me you knew my mother."

"I just say things sometimes to get a reaction, San. You know that."

"Sun-hee, did my mother just call you?"

"San-"

"Just say yes or no. That's the least you could do."

"Don't you think my uneasiness is a clear enough answer?"

He glared at me with cold eyes before picking up his chopsticks once again to resume his eating. I decided to eat too, since I wanted this meal to end faster. But, I guess San saw right through my tactics and decided to order even more.

"Call her back," he demanded.

"I don't think now is a good time. It's too noisy in here."

"So, you'll call her back when we finish eating?"

"I don't think that's a good idea either," I admitted.

"Why? You don't think I can handle it?"

"I didn't say that," I defended.

"She's my own mother, Sun-hee. I deserve to at least hear her voice."

"But San, do you think she deserves to hear yours?"

"It doesn't matter if she deserves it or not. If I want to speak to her, then I should be allowed to speak to her!"

His voice grew louder as the people around us got rowdier.

"Okay, I'll call her back once we leave."

He relaxed his shoulders a little after hearing me agree.

"You shouldn't have let me order more food then." He pouted. I giggled in response as I sat back in my chair and crossed my arms.

"You have to finish it all. I'm not helping whatsoever," I teased. His eyes widened as he quickly threw more meat on my plate.

"Hey, I said I'm not helping you!" I whined.

"But, now it's on your plate and I don't want to eat it anymore since it's contaminated."

I rolled my eyes before shoving the food into my mouth.

"Here, eat more," he offered as he piled more meat onto my plate.

"I already told you I'm full!"

"Do you want to get ice cream after?" He smiled. I looked at him, annoyed, before ultimately nodding my head yes. He laughed in response and we continued to eat our meal until we couldn't anymore.