Chapter Three: Back to the Norm...Sorta

January 4th

Marley's POV:
Monday rolls around and I'm back to school, Mom will be gone when I get home today, and I dread going home.

"Bye Mom! Call me when you get to your hotel!" I call as I sling my backpack over my shoulder.

"Bye hunny, have fun at school!" Mom hollers from her bedroom, where she's packing her stuff.

I could go with momma and David to the airport, but that just means I'll be alone with him that much sooner, I know that I'm only delaying the inevitable, but I honestly don't care. The man disgusts me, and I want to spend as much time away from him as possible.

My phone buzzes and I look down. It's a text from Bas.

Bas-
   Good morning Marley! What are you up to?

Marley-
   Hey Bas! Not much, my mom is headed out of town this morning, but I'm just on my way to work right now.

Bas-
   Oh wow

Marley-
   What? I don't think anything I just said is worthy of a 'wow' 😶

Bas-
   Oh, yeah, no you didn't say anything like that...its just that you said anything at all. You know, with this being a wrong number situation and all.
   When were you going to tell me?

Marley-
   I don't know. Didn't seem like the right time when you were still suffering from a hangover.

Bas-
   Ouch! And yeah, that probably wasn't the best day.
   So you are actually headed to work then?

Marley-
   Nothing I've said has been a lie, other than the fact that I'm actually walking to school instead of work. 😅

Bas-
   Cool, so you're honest.

Marley-
   Yep, my dad always wanted an honest kid. "Ain't gonna be no liars in my house, even young 'uns."

Bas-
   Sounds like a good man.

Marley-
   He was.
Anyway, more important stuff going on here...you figured out you'd gotten the wrong number, so are you just going to ghost me or what?

Bas-
   No, that seems a little unreasonable. I don't want to seem like a creeper, 'cause I'm not, but I don't see anything wrong with texting you. Unless you find it weird, then I won't.

Marley-
   Well, I don't see a problem with it either.
   Except for the fact that I just literally ran into a light pole! I'm gonna go now before I hurt myself too badly.

Bas-
   Okay, bye then. 👋🏼

Throughout the school day I'm constantly thinking about Bas. I wonder why he's still willing to talk with me. I'm a complete stranger, and a wrong number text. Above all, I'm a kid. I think he knows that since I said I was on my way to school.

My question is answered by another text on my way home. He does know, or correctly guesses that I'm not in college.

Bas-
You said you were on your way to school? Is it normal for kids in 2015 to have smartphones already? Did everyone get them on new years and I missed the announcement or something?

Marley-
I wouldn't be surprised if you were too drunk to remember. 🌀
But no, they smartphones weren't handed out to teens on New Years. My mom got it for me for Christmas, she has a job that makes her travel a lot, so she wanted me to be able to talk to her when I'm out of the house. Which is a lot, I'm in a bunch of clubs and stuff at school.