The Beginning

[Two Days Later]

Ava had gotten worse. No one thought it was possible, but it was. Benjamin was trying everything. He had even sent Matt, Woods, and Sam to his RV to find a couple more boxes of serums...which had antidotes. Benjamin had made a makeshift IV drip with the antidotes, but it didn't seem to be helping. Ava had, somehow, gotten paler, and was starting to cough. The coughing seemed to have Benjamin concerned.

Matt had made sure that Benjamin hadn't tried anything stupid or crazy with the red serum though. But most of Ben's focus was on Ava. All Benjamin used the red serum for, was refilling his mask. Matt was still doing an inventory check, just in case. He checked the boxes that they had taken from the RV and found only two antidotes left. He went into the HQ, where Ava hadn't moved.

Matt: Benjamin?

Benjamin turned his head to look at Matt.

Matt: There are only two antidotes left.

Benjamin turned his head back to Ava.

Matt: Is there any more?

Benjamin, sighing: No.

Matt: Can you make more?

Benjamin gently brushed a stray strand of hair out of Ava's face.

Benjamin: Yes...but I can't leave her.

Matt gently placed a hand on Benjamin's shoulder.

Matt: If you don't make more...she'll leave you. And she won't come back.

Benjamin was silent for a moment, then jumped to his feet in rage.

Benjamin: NO! YOU DON'T UNDERSTAND!

Matt: Then help me understand!

Benjamin had started gasping for breath. Yelling like that was hard on him. Neither man had noticed Ava had sat up.

Ava: Fools.

Both Matt and Benjamin whirled around, stunned by her voice. Ava, using the couch arm for support, stood up.

Ava: I made my choices. Some good. Some bad. Some stupid. Some risky. But hasn't everyone? This one, (pauses a moment to cough), this one was a mix between good, stupid, and risky. Which means, to fix it...your next choice has to be the same.

She turned her head to Benjamin.

Ava: Matt does have some pretty good advice, Ben. I highly recommend listening to what he has to say... especially when it comes to being a dad. Sorry, but that's not really your expertise.

Under the mask, Benjamin winced. She was right, but he didn't have to like it. Ava turned her head to Matt.

Ava: And Matt, while you know a lot about some things... you don't know everything. Benjamin does know things you don't.

She moved her gaze back to both of them.

Ava: You two are so much alike, but you need to work together. Which means, set your damned pride aside, understand that you both don't know everything and for God's sake, STOP SCREAMING AT EACH OTHER!

The two men looked at each other and silently agreed. Ava smiled, but the moment didn't last. Her legs buckled, and she collapsed into Benjamin's arms. He laid her on the couch, and she began to cough. Hard. Matt looked at Benjamin, wondering what to do. Benjamin prayed that Ava would stop coughing soon. If she didn't...

Damn it, don't think of that!!

Sam and Woods came in, hearing the coughing.

Sam: Matt?