Chapter 9

Normally Cornelia wouldn't have bothered to ask permission, but this was her best friend's brother. She could definitely not just date him without Taranee giving her the green light. Girlfriends before boys. Always.

Cornelia was waiting impatiently for Taranee to pick up her phone, getting more nervous with each beep.

Finally the noise that indicated someone picked up came through the cell phone: "Hello?"

"Oh hey Taranee, it's Cornelia."

"Hey Cornelia, what's up?" Taranee asked cheerfully.

Cornelia drew in a long breath. "Well you see..." she started and then didn't know what to say anymore. "Well I wanted to ask..." she tried again, and could then hear Taranee laugh lightly.

"You wanted to ask if you could go on a date with my brother?" Taranne said confidently, and Cornelia's mouth dropped - good thing Taranee couldn't see this.

"Well... yes... How did you know?" Cornelia asked suspiciously. "My brother asked me the other day if he could ask you out or if it was too weird for me," Taranee started, "I told him he should go for it."

Cornelia smiled, a little of happiness, a little of relief. "Thanks Taranee, it means a lot". Cornelia could almost hear Taranee's smile through the phone, "hey, as long as you are happy Corny, and my brother seems to like you a lot."

Cornelia smiled and thanked Taranee once more before hanging up.

***

Around 6:45 pm Cornelia was running around trying to figure out what to wear. Now she had known Peter for some years now, and knew that wherever they went it would be rather casual - that was his style. But even a casual Cornelia still looked like a fancy person, which made it so hard for her to settle on an outfit.

She ended up settling on a pair of beige skinny jeans, a black short sleeved shirt with a silky, rosy short sleeved cropped shirt on top, which she paired with a pair of strappy black heels.

She was still busy fixing her hair and makeup when the doorbell rang. "CORNELIA!" Lillian shouted, "THE DOORBELL RANG!" Cornelia shouted back at her sister, "WELL THEN GET IT YOURSELF!" - "I CAN'T, I'M BUSY!" Lillian shouted again.

"MOM!" Cornelia yelled, "CAN YOU PLEASE GET THE DOOR, I AM NOT READY!"

"You should have thought about that when he gave you a time to be ready for," Elizabeth Hale said as she passed her daughters door with a basket full of laundry, "besides I am little preoccupied with everyone's clothes here." She paused and turned to her daughter, "you look great darling, if you need some more minutes just invite the boy in and ask him nicely to wait." She winked and kept moving.

Cornelia sighed in defeat and ran down the stairs to the bell that rang again, she opened the door with a big smile which fated instantly.

"Caleb."

The brown haired boy turned around and looked slightly surprised at Cornelia. "Oh hey..." he managed to get out, "I came here to get some things I forgot." He said while looking at his shoes.

"Oh," Cornelia said and widened the door, "come in."

"CALEB!" Lillian ran towards the brown haired boy who gave the little girl a big smile. "What's up little monster?" They started chatting a bit and Cornelia went up to her room. Suddenly everything felt wrong and confusing. She had not expected to see Caleb here and she definitely didn't like the idea of him being here when Peter came to pick her up.

Her phone flashed and she looked down to see a text from Peter.

Hey Cornelia, so sorry, running 10 minutes late. Had to give sis a ride. Can't wait to see you. - P