𝔑𝔦𝔫𝔢

Nyx stared at herself in the bathroom mirror, her hands gently rubbing down her cheeks as she examined herself. Her hands, once ridged and rough, now soft and delicate against her porcelain skin. 

She let out a shaky breath, tensing her body until her face turned red as she stared at her reflection in the eyes, waiting for even a flash of their natural purples. 

Yet once again her shoulders sank in disappointment, the way they had for the last hours since Lucifer had insisted Amenadiel bring them to his place before the police saw them, insisting she stay with him for safety.

"Safety" She muttered, her voice nearly disgusted at the thought of needing protection. 

Nyx wiped her face again, taking a deep breath before leaving the bathroom and making her way out to the living room.

Lucifer sat at the piano, his nimble fingers sliding over the keys perfectly, a soft melody filling the penthouse. Nyx took a seat beside him, reaching up and taking a sip of his whiskey from the heavily nursed crystal glass.

Lucifer didn't say anything, instead just sending Nyx a soft smile as her own fingertips grazed the keys.

"You play beautifully'' She whispered, Lucifer's playing coming to a halt at the start of the conversation. "Many years in the practice can do that, I suppose," He responded, letting out a soft chuckle.

Nyx nodded, sitting idle for a moment before letting out a shaky breath. "I don't understand," Her voice shook with emotion, a state that Lucifer was still getting used to hearing. Over the months that Lucifer had gotten to know her, Nyx had only spoken with nothing less than confidence, her dark persona radiating off of her presence. Now, the Nyx before him was bright and light, innocence and purity the only thing detectable.

"I...I am the spawn of Chaos. My mother is Pandora. Sure, the first human, but I don't understand how Thanatos was able to make me human." Her rambling voice continued on with Lucifer not really wanting to interject. She needed to rant this out.

"Thanatos isn't even evil! He's always been a fair and just God! The God of Death, sure, but not this sinister, hateful being he is acting like now! And even then, I still do not understand how he was able to completely change me human. I have not a single drop of my Chaos anymore. My mother never told me of this!" 

Nyx's chest heaved heavily as her words fell silent, her hand at some point having come up to grasp at Lucifer's own. He had not pulled away either, instead squeezing reassuringly from where he sat beside her.

Again the penthouse became silent aside from Nyx's breathing. This stayed for a minute or so before Lucifer finally spoke.

"What was the name he yelled to you? In the warehouse," He asked, not able to understand the strange name he had heard Thanatos refer to Nyx has when he and Amenadiel had arrived. Yet in response, he received yet another confusing look and shake of a head. "Lucy, I don't know. I don't understand any of this. It was as if I could not control my Chaos, and being around him made me want to transform. To become my true self. And then he said that name, a name I have never even heard in all the stories my mother told. It felt as though I was struck by lightning. Like my Chaos was crying to come out and there was nothing I could do to stop it."

They had been so consumed in conversation, they hadn't noticed Amenadiel welcome himself into the penthouse, now standing in the corner of the living room as he listened to them.