Chapter 1

"Mom, can I go for a walk around the block? You know, scout out the neighborhood." I waited for my moms answer as I looked out the window of my new house. "Ok, honey. But be back before 4:30." I let the house and walked down the perfect sidewalk, through my perfect new neighborhood. Perfect, manicured lawns, perfect flowerbeds, perfect, perfect, perfect. I felt out of place in my tank top and shorts. I stopped at the corner and looked across the street towards the town's main road. I turned around and ran into a moving wall, falling down roughly. "Oh my God. I'm so sorry." A boy's voice said. Apparently the wall talked. I looked up into the bright blue eyes of one of the tallest boys I'd ever seen. He dwarfed my 4' 11" height. "H-h-hi." The blue eyed boy offered his hand to help me up. I accepted it. "Hey, I'm Hayes. Sorry for knocking you over." I shook my head. "It's okay. I'm Ember-Lily. I just moved into the house down the street." Hayes nodded. "That's why I haven't seen you around before. How old are you?" I looked into his eyes, wondering if he was sincere. "I'm thirteen." Hayes' face fell. "Oh, you won't be in my grade then. I was hoping someone on my side of the street would be in my grade. All of my friends live in the other side of the block." I made a split second decision to tell him. "I'm sort of a genius, so I'm actually going to be a sophomore this year. Please don't think any different of me." Hayes looked at me a little weirdly, but then said. "Oh my God seriously? I'm a sophomore this year too!" I smiled and then looked at my phone. It was nearing 4:20. "I better start heading home. "