Chapter 3 - Kismat

ACP: Ye kya horaha hai? (He shouted over the noise)

(What is happening here?)

Sai froze. Everyone else calmed down and looked at him but Sai remained with her back to him and stood speechless.

Sai (in her mind): Virat sir? (She thought as tears started to from in her eyes)

Preeti: Sir, aap nayi ACP hai na?

(Sir, you are the new ACP right?)

Virat: Ji

(Yes)

Sonam: Sir vo-

Officer Shinde: Sir, ye ladkiyan pagal hai. Hum par jhoota ilzam laga rahe hai.

(Sir, these girls are crazy. They are falsely accusing us)

That was enough to bring Sai out of her frozen state.

Sai: Excuse me sir, lekin na main jhoot bolti hun aur nahi kisiki jhoot bardaasht karti hun. Aur jhoota ilzam to aap hum par laga rahe hai. (Sai said fiercely)

(Excuse me sir, but neither do I lie nor do I tolerate anyone's lies. And you are the one falsely accusing us)

It was now Virat's turn to be shocked when he heard her voice. He too didn't know how to react. Her back was still to him but he didn't know how he would face her. As she turned to face him and they both made eye contact, all the memories started rushing back. The walls Virat put up started to break and he tried to keep it together. He tried not to let her affect him but it wasn't possible. But he still tried. He tried to maintain his cold indifferent demeanor. Sai also forced herself not to cry. She wanted to run and hug him, run and hit him and run away from him all at once.

Sai's friends were a bit confused by Sai's silence so they spoke up.

Preeti: Haan sir, humare dost sahi keh rahi hai. Aapke officers hum par jhoota ilzam laga rahe hai.

(Yes sir, our friend is right. Your officers are falsely accusing us)

Sonam: Aur humare saath na insaafi bhi kar rahe hai

(And they are doing injustice to us)

Officer Mathur: Nahi sir aisa kuch nahi-

(No sir, it's nothing like that)

Virat raised his hand to silence Officer Mathur. He then looked directly at Sai as he spoke.

Virat: Kya hua hai? (He said in a concerned but strict voice)

(What happened?)

Virat tried to pretend she was just a stranger and he was just doing his job.

Virat's refusal to acknowledge knowing her, hurt Sai. But she didn't let it show, and she responded in the same way. As if he was just the officer who she came to report a crime to...and not the person she spent a year of her life with.

Sai: Sir, kuch gunde mere aur mere doston ke saath badtameezi kar rahe the. Humein ched rahe the. Phir aapke officers vaha pass kar rahe the, humne unhe roka aur unhone un gundo ko giraftaar kar liya.

(Sir, some goons were misbehaving with me and my friends. They were teasing us. Then your officers were passing there, we stopped them and they arrested those goons.)

Virat's blood boiled hearing that someone was harassing Sai and clenched his fists to the side. He tried to keep his face neutral so no one would realize how angry he was.