7

Marry darted through the door and looked at Carina. "Dr. DeLuca, what are you doing here?" she asked curiously.

Maya gave Carina an apologetic look. "I ehh..." began Carina, but was interrupted by Maya's cough. Immediately Marry let the bag slip from her hand and went to Maya's bedside and stroked her back "Shhh, all good baby, I'm here." She said to Maya.

Carina exhaled loudly and cleared her throat. Marry turned her head towards her but kept her hand on her girlfriend's back. Maya, on the other hand, looked at her hands in shame. Carina saw how tense Maya was. Marry didn't seem to notice, because she continued to touch Maya.

"Marry, what are you doing here again today?" asked Maya with an annoyed undertone. "I couldn't leave you here alone. I just went for a quick shower and something to eat." Maya rolled her eyes. Marry was getting annoyed with Maya's attitude towards her.

"Are you on your period, or why do you bitch at me all the time when I'm here?" retorted Marry cheekily.

Carina's eyes widened and she had to stifle her laughter. She knew very well that Maya had to hold back a lot right now in order not to lose her composure completely. Maya closed her eyes, and took a very, very deep breath, hoping to calm down.

"Excuse me?" asked Maya in an ironically polite tone.

"I think you heard me exactly, Maya." Marry bitched at her.

Carina was struck by how little Marry knew Maya.

"Go." "No." "Go." "No. We'll talk about it. That's what you do in a relationship. Talk. Ever heard of it?" Maya's gaze darkened. Carina took a few steps away from Marry.

"What are you still doing here, anyway, Dr. DeLuca? Don't you have work to do or something?" Carina was shocked by the way her resident was talking to her, her BOSS. "Don't talk to me like that, Doice. I don't think I'm hearing right." She countered her. "Yeah well, whatever. Go on now." she murmured at Carina.

"Enough!" said Maya, raising her voice. No one was allowed to talk to Carina like that. "She's staying. You go." She said to Marry as she looked deep into her brown eyes.

"Honey, let's talk, please." She pleaded with Maya. "Honey" Maya mimicked Marry "You've said enough. Go. I don't want to see you right now. No. Wait. I don't want to see you for a long time." Marry felt tears welling up in her eyes. How could Maya humiliate her like this in front of her boss?

"Okay." She said hurt and ran to the door.

Silence fell in the room. Damn quiet.

Maya POV

I didn't look at Carina. Marry's behavior was humiliating even for me.

"Maya." Said Carina softly. My head shot in her direction, and our looks intertwined. I was mesmerized by her brown eyes. In her eyes I saw all the emotions she was desperately trying to hide. I could see deep into her soul. I felt like I was at home. Time stood still. Neither of us moved a muscle.

After what felt like an eternity, I stretched out my healthy arm to her. I don't know myself what I hoped to achieve. Carina did not move an inch, but only shook her head.

Disappointed, I put my hand back on my leg. "Maya, tell me, why am I here?" "I miss you." I said freely without mercy.

"Don't lie to me." Said Carina in a slightly shaky voice. "Why would I lie?" I asked her slightly hurt.

"Because you don't even know how to speak the truth." She whispered. I was shocked. Almost hurt, but I couldn't stay mad at her. She was right.

"I said I was sorry." I said seriously. "And you think a simple 'I'm sorry' will make it better!" she yelled at me. "I. Ca- Carina..." "What you?!" she said angrily.