23

"Hey Captain!" exclaimed Andy as she barged into Maya's office without knocking.
"Hererra? How about knocking? I could have been naked!" Andy grinned. "Wouldn't be the first time, and it won't be the last time I see you naked." Maya laughed and shook her head.
"Why do I see you so rarely at home?" asked Andy as she dropped into the chair across from Maya's desk.

"Because I'm with my wonderful girlfriend." Said Maya less than enthusiastically.
"And you're not happy about that?" "Yes, of course I am. I love Carina, and I love the time we spend together, but oh well." "Maya, please, talk to me?" Maya sighed and propped her elbows on the table.

"Her niece." "What about her niece?" "She's a homophobe." Andy looked at her sadly. "Last night she told us she hates herself." Maya continued talking quietly. "What, why?" "Because just like Carina and me, she likes women, well, girls." Andy eyes got big and she shook her head slightly. "Damn." She muttered. "Yeah. The worst part is, she says it's both of our fault she's like that. After that, she just ran off to her room."

"Have you talked to her again since then?" "Uh uh, this morning we both woke up together, Carina made me a protein shake and then I left right after that."

"Did Carina talk to her?" Maya shrugged. "To be honest, I don't know. I haven't talked to her since this morning. But it's likely she's at least seen her because she always drops her off at school on her way to the hospital."

A loud scream interrupted the tense conversation between the two women.

Maya jumped straight up, ran to the door and yanked it open. Outside the door, she saw a blonde girl wearing a bright red hoodie, which hid her face. She was sitting on the floor holding her left foot.

"What happened?" called Vic as she ran down the stairs with Travis and Jack.
The girl was sitting on the floor, terrified and wailing in pain. Travis immediately ran to get a first aid kit.

Maya knelt down next to the girl and put a hand on her shoulder. The unknown girl flinched. Maya directly removed her hand. "What happened?"

"I twisted my ankle." Said the girl very slowly. "Hey, what's your name?" she continued to ask as Travis came back. He had the first aid kit in his right hand and ice to cool it in his right. He knelt beside her foot and looked at her. "May I?" She nodded uncertainly and hissed as he removed her shoe. "Are you all right? May I continue?" She nodded again.

"Ok, where did this happen sweetie?" asked Vic, "Here." She mumbled, "Ok, and what were you doing here at the firehouse?" She was silent.

"First, tell us your name so we can address you properly." Jack suggested cautiously. "Elaine."
Maya looked at the girl urgently. Somehow the name sounded familiar.

"How old are you and where are your parents?" "14."

"Okay, it's possible that your foot is broken. I think we need to take you to the hospital.
Elaine said nothing, but let Jack lift her up.
------------------------
"Fourteen-year-old girl, Elaine, twisted her left foot." Said Maya as she exited the ambulance.
1 doctor and 6 interns stood around Elaine. "Ok, thanks." Said Link as he received the patient.
"Can you hear me, Elaine?" "Clear and distinct, doctor." She replied, annoyed.

The rookies pushed Elaine into a room and Link looked at her foot. When he moved it slightly to the side, Elaine cried out. "Stop!" she shouted. "Okay, your foot is very swollen and completely red. What could that indicate?" he asked around the room without turning around.

"Broken or sprained?" one answered uncertainly. "Was that a question?" "No, sir." He said again in an uncertain voice.

"Okay, I doubt your ankle is completely broken, but just to be sure, I'd like to x-ray it anyway." Elaine nodded and tilted her head. "Are you pregnant?" asked Link unexpectedly. Elaine's eyes snapped open and she started to panic inside. "No." She said out of reflex.