They Let me Join With My Family

*The same night as the last chapter*

???: "Excuse me sir, but are you doing at this late hour?"

Maple: "Hm?" I sat up and saw a woman standing in front of me. "I didn't think anyone would be out here at this time." When I looked at her, she had a jade-colored hair and and eyes the same color. Seems to be an elf to.

???: "Neither did I." She sat beside me, though I didn't mind.

Maple: "What are you doing out here?"

???: "I believe I asked you the same question."

Maple: "...Sorry. I'm out here because... I can't sleep."

???: "That's your only reason?"

Maple: "Well, it's not an excuse." I looked down at the stone pavement. "By the way, my name's Maple. What's yours?"

Riveria: "Riveria. Pleasure to meet you." She nodded her head.

Maple: I nodded back. "Likewise." Silence passed before I spoke again. "So, what's your reason?"

Riveria: "I'm just waiting for someone."

Maple: "I'm guessing that someone is in the dungeon?" I questioned. "This person must be strong to go into the dungeon at night."

Riveria: "Yes she is." She smiled.

Maple: We didn't speak to each other after that and just sat together. Until I said something totally random, or maybe not. "How would you feel if you had to be reborn with all your memories intact, over and over again?"

Riveria: "Where did that come from?" She raised a brow. "...Well, I guess I would be glad to have been able to keep my memories. But there would be some doubts too. Like losing the people you met and loved."

Maple: I put my knees to my chest and hugged them. "People say it's hard being left behind." I stared at Babel. "But, it's harder to be the one who stays."

Riveria: She stared at me in shock. "What an odd thing for a young man like yourself to say. You almost sound like this has happened to you. Both the answer to your question and your comment."

Maple: "The first and second one, yes. The third, it's happened to everyone." I stood up and faced Riveria. "Thank you for this evening. Get home safe." I bowed.

Riveria: "You as well." She bowed her head.

Walking home, I thought about her reply to my question. 'Well, I guess I would be glad to have been able to keep my memories. But there would be some doubts too. Like losing the people you met and loved.' There's nothing great about that. It's nothing but a curse. And those who have it, are in eternal hell. There's nothing great about being reborn, putting up the same act over and over.

Maple: *Sighs* I pinched to bridge of my nose. "Life sucks."

*The next day, in the afternoon*

I was walking the market with the twins on my back. I got a couple of stares, but they only lasted for a little while. I decided to bring the twins. They've only been out the house once when we moved to Orario. They seem to be happy, since they're reaching for things and squealing a bit.

Elsie: "Aba."

Maple: I turned my head and saw Elsie reaching for the crepe stall. "I guess, you can try some." I walked to the stall and ordered a crepe. "Two crepes please."

Crepe worker: "Coming right up!"

Maple: We sat down on a small field of grass and put out a blanket. I set the twins down and gave them both some frosting. "You guys like it?"

Elsie/Arthur: "Ooooohhhh."

Maple: "I'll take that as a yes." I grabbed my bag and brought out my lunch. "Thank you for the food." I started eating my sandwich while the twins were high on sugar.

Riveria: "Nice day out for a picnic, isn't it?"

Maple: I looked up and saw the same woman from last night. "Riveria."

Riveria: "May I sit?"

Maple: "Be my guest." I gestured my hand across from me.

Riveria: She sat across from me and Arthur started to make a bit of a fuss, while Elsie wanted to go over to Riveria.

Maple: I picked up Arthur and gave him his bottle. "Easy, Arthur." I rocked him back and forth. "No need to be so needy."

Riveria: "You're quite good with kids." Elsie touched her finger, though she seemed okay with it. I thought Elves had a thing about only a select few people touching them.

Maple: "Well, I am their uncle." I looked at Riveria. "And, before you assume anything, the mother and father are gone."

Riveria: "I see." She glanced at Elsie. "I'm sorry for your loss."

Maple: I shook my head. "It's in the past."

Riveria: "So, are you taking care of these two by yourself?" She raised a brow.

Maple: "No. my mother is here and I hired someone to watch the twins while I'm in the dungeon."

Riveria: "You're an adventurer as well?"

Maple: "Yes, except I'm not in a familia. I did apply for one though." After Arthur was done with his bottle, I began burping him.

Riveria: "Did you apply for the Loki familia?"

Maple: I looked at her. "How did you know?" She smiled at me. "Oh."

Riveria: "I'm surprised you didn't know about me. I had the impression everyone knew about me."

Maple: "But I don't know you." She looked at me with shocked eyes. "It's not that surprising. All I know about you is, you're an elf, an adventurer, and your name."

Riveria: She chuckled. "I suppose you're right. Anyways," She stood up "I heard about your request. You want to join our familia along with your family, the infants and an elderly woman?

Maple: "Yes. If it isn't possible, I understand."

Riveria: "No, there isn't anything wrong with it. You can't exactly leave them alone. You're worried they won't last a day without you."

Maple: "I'm worried they won't last an hour at most." She laughed at my remark.

Riveria: "We've decided to let you and your family join. You can move in now if wish." She gave me a nod and left.

Maple: "But the lease lasts for a year." I said.