Improvement

Ais and I sat next to each other during dinner and talked for a while, getting to know each other more. It was comfortable talking with her. Kinda like I've known her for a long time. Being in a familia does change you. Mom hasn't changed though. This time at dinner, she called me by June's name. I told everyone it's a nickname that she likes to call me since I like summer. Lucky enough, they bought it. It was close call though. Hopefully, they'll continue to believe it.

Tiona: "So, you wanna train with me?"

Maple: "Why?" I asked.

Tiona: "So I could see how good you are, duh! Also, to see if you're half amazon." She smiled.

Maple: I looked at her. "I lived by the sea, that's why I'm tan. And I'm two levels below you, so you shouldn't have to see if you're better than me." I rebutted.3

Tiona: "Oh, come one!" she pouted "Pretty please!"

Maple: I sighed. "If I do, will you stop pestering me about it?"

Tiona: "Sure will!" She jumped up and looked at me with excitement in her eyes. I raised my brow. "Come on! Let's go!" She grabbed me by the arm and pulled me to the courtyard. She walked across the courtyard with me on the other side. I had grabbed my sword from my room and I got ready.

Maple: "On three?" I asked and she nodded. "One-"

Tiona: "THREE!"

She launched herself forward and attacked me with a slash. I expected her to do that, so I dodged and parried with a punch to her solar plexus. I moved back to get some distance between us. After getting up, she smirked and charged at me again. She hit with constant slashes with her double-sided sword and all I could do was block. Although I had more technique, she had more experience and skill.

Tiona had a look of excitement on her face. Although, I don't know what's so exciting about beating someone weaker than you. She jumped in the air and brought down her sword onto me. That's when I saw an opening. I threw my sword at her and used that as a decoy to jump behind her and hit the pressure point on her neck. She fell limp and I caught her bridal style when I landed on the ground.

Finn: "That was quite the showing." He clapped. "Have you always been this skilled?" He walked down the stairs and stood in front of me.

Maple: "You could say so. Although, I'm still pretty weak." I set Tiona down on the grass. "I just need more strength and speed to match my skills."

Finn: He chuckled. "You shouldn't put yourself down too much. I can tell you'll make a great adventurer." He walked away and left me thinking.

Can I truly be one? I barely talk with the captain but I suddenly want to live up to his expectations. I'll make him proud.

I went into the dungeon to hopefully boost my stats. I should be taking another nap, but I wonder how far I can go when I encounter something much harder. After going through to floor 36, I decided to head straight down to floor 37. The first thing I encountered was all white. Is this heaven? I admired the place longer until I came across several Spartoi. They all charged at me and I thought,

Maple: "This is definitely hell."

I jumped high and observed all the monsters. Thirty in total. It seems small for this level. I fell down and poured magic into my sword. I engulfed it with fire and swung it when I landed on the ground. About half of the monsters died. I ran through them, giving them hell. They all turned to smoke before my eyes, and I watched as their magic stones thudded onto the ground. Is this all there is? I picked up their magic stones and stood around, waiting for more monsters.

Maple: "Is there something wrong with the dungeon?" I walked towards a wall and put my hand on it. Suddenly, a horde of monsters spawned from all around me. I stared at them in shock before I got attacked by one of them. I winced and fell forward, landing on my hands and knees. I felt the sharp pain on the right side of my chest. I tried to heal it, but only halfway since I was attacked again. 

The difference between these floors, this is what I get for underestimating the dungeon. Maybe if I make it out alive, can I ask Ais or one of the top executives to help me train? At that thought, I thought of Riveria. I wonder what she would say If I got back with a few injuries? Would she worry, or would she scold me? I suddenly got attacked again by the monsters. Shit, this hurts. I'll have to retreat for now. I combined water and fire to create a smokescreen. As I was running towards the exit, something hit my head. I fell and my vision was getting blurry. I saw the monsters crowding around me. Just as they were about to grab me, they all suddenly vaporized. I saw a blur going through the monsters,  instantly killing them. 

Maple: "Urgh..." I groaned in pain and threw up blood. I managed to stand only to lose my balance and topple. But I was caught by the person who saved me. I realized it was Ais. She put my arm around her shoulder and helped me walk. "Wait... let me heal myself." I strained, She nodded and helped me sit down. I didn't have a lot of magic left, so I used the small amount remaining to heal my major wounds. Although that didn't do much.

Ais: "Are feeling better?" she asked with concern. I looked at her but I spit more blood. I should stop overestimating my abilities. Eina will give me a scolding after I tell her what happened. Ais stared at me in worry. I don't think she knows what to do in this type of situation. "I'm sorry."

Maple: I stared at her confused. "What for?"

Ais: "For not bringing a healing potion or helping you out sooner." I saw her fiddle with her thumbs a bit.

Maple: I sighed. "That's not your fault Ais." I pat her head. "I'm the one who's in the wrong for underestimating the dungeon and overestimating my abilities. I'm sorry that you had to clean up after my mess." I smiled softly.

Ais: "It's alright." She smiled back at me. She also put her hand on my head. I laughed a little at her sudden action.

Maple: "Alright, I'm ready." Ais got up and held out her hand. I took it and she pulled me up saying,

Ais: "Heave ho." Not with a lot of emotion though. She put my arm around her and helped me out of the dungeon. After what seemed like an eternity of walking, we made it out of the dungeon. 

And once we did, plenty of people were staring, glaring, and synonyms that rhyme with those words. I couldn't handle the stares and told her that I could by myself, but she refused. She's quite the stubborn one. But anyway, why is she so caring even though we just barely know each other? She seems too comfortable with me. Is she always this welcome to newcomers? If so, then someone needs to teach her to be more cautious of others. But then again, it's not like I'm complaining that she's treating me this way.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sorry for the late update, I have no excuse. But... don't forget to vote, comment, and follow if you're still interested in the story!