XII. MOTEL ROOM

CHAPTER TWELVEMotel Room‿︵‿︵‿︵

CHAPTER TWELVE
Motel Room

(PRESENT)

Avery loved following clues.

The motel key was the only thing John B managed to find from the sunken Grady-White boat. After the crew tried to report the wreckage and failed to be heard, while Avery stayed back to hide in the boat, they headed towards the motel where the key had come from.

Avery was expecting a grand building, maybe one that sat on Figure Eight, where the staff wore suits and had a heated pool out back. She was surprised to see that they docked by creepy, worst for wear motel that definitely had a collection of newspaper articles to total the number of deaths that had happened on the premises. Or was owned and run by meth addicts, as Kiara had deadpanned.

JJ let out a whoop, jumping off the boat and onto the dry grass bank to tie it down. Avery tucked her feet under her legs, sitting cross legged, and watched the blond secure the rope. She didn't know how him and John B seemed so unbothered by the building, just looking at it made her nervous.

Pope called out to John B before the brunet stepped off the boat, "don't let him do anything stupid"

"Oh, we will" JJ causally replied, making Pope point a look at him.

"I'm not making promises," John B truthfully asked, knowing the impulsive boy enough to know that they were bound to end up doing something stupid. His honey brown eyes flickered over to Avery, "Come on, Aves"

"What?" She blinked up at the boy.

"He only listens to you" He simply replied, shrugging his shoulders.

Avery knew that it was true, if anyone was going to keep JJ in line, it was her. Reluctantly, with a huff, she stood up from her comfortable position and waddled over to the top of the boat. JJ already had his hand out for her to take, a cheeky smile on his face that made her playfully roll her eyes as she took his hand and hoped off.

"Uh, be careful" Kiara told John B, passing him the key. She shrugged a little, "I mean it"

The Routledge boy chuckled awkwardly, "yeah"

The trio walked passed the mattresses and rubble, Avery grimaced at the state of the place, hurricane or not, she could tell it was never an appealing place. Her shoulders bumped against JJ and John B's, zoning out their random bicker. She kept her eyes open, she didn't particularly feel like running away from an crazed murderer. So, her eyes flickered around the surroundings and noticed all the ugly things.