Chapter 45: That Was Poetic Of You.

I SHIVER AND put one of Gavin's hoodies that was in my car over my shirt before getting out of my car. I never get cold easily.... except for early in the morning when I'm still half asleep.

"Hi! Are you here for Fiona?" A very hyper woman asks from the front desk.

"Yeah, I am." I say with a small smile, trying to push back the headache this lady's high voice gives me at five in the fucking morning.

"Great! She'll be out in a few." The woman says while heading to the back to get Fiona.

I smile to myself, excitement bubbling in my stomach at the thought of seeing my friend again. She's been working hard from what I know and I'm so proud of her for even trying.

I agreed to come pick her up early so that she can get changed and come back to school. I've been anticipating Fiona's return to school... but that's not the only return I've been anticipating.

Vincent's.

No one has heard from him since the day he showed up at Fiona's and tried to hit me. I mean, not that I'm complaining. But sadly I know Vincent. I know his mind and his motives and I know that he's too silent.

Eerily silent.

I push away the thoughts of Vincent with a slight shake of my head and exhale. He's not the focus right now, Fiona is. This is a good thing, so I'm just gonna focus on that.

My mind drifts to different places as I sit and wait for Fiona, the main one being Gavin.

Yesterday we finally got back home around five pm, and I felt so much better. It was hard to sit down and talk about the story of, well, Vincent, but I think after a lot of silence between Gavin and i on the drive home and a lot of reassurance, I've quickly realized it was for the better.

Okay, yeah, I was wrong for once.

Maybe I just need to shut my pride down and do the reasonable thing more often. Huh, imagine that. I silently roll my eyes at myself while my phone buzzes in my pocket.

morning em :), the text reads and I smile.

morning gavin. I type back when a thought dawns on me, prompting my fingers to quickly move in an attempt to extend my text. what are you doing up at 5:00 am??

"Ma'am!" A voice calls. causing my head to snap up from my phone. "We just need to see your ID please!"

I nod and walk toward the front desk to show the woman my ID. "Just a few more minutes now." She assures me and I thank her.

My phone immediately buzzes back in my hand and I bring it up back into my line of vision.

macy woke us up on a rant about wanting to dye her hair pink and won't let us sleep now- im living the dream

I laugh silently to myself and shake my head.

what if I come over after school with some temporary dye and I can do at least a few strands. it'll come out without 2 months- I used to do it when I was younger. it's cristina certified and approved ;)

I hear the door handle jingle and look up immediately. Fiona's red hair is this first thing I see, as it always is. She comes barreling out, I literally don't even see her face or body before she's already jumped up into my arms at full force.

"Holy shit Fi." I grunt out while wrapping my arms around her waist. Fiona doesn't even respond, only hugs tighter and a smile quickly grows on my face as I reciprocate immediately.

Fiona pulls out of the hug, holding my shoulders with her hands. "It's so good to see you."

A small gasp leaves my lips as I take in Fiona for the first time in a week. Not much time, but fuck did it seem like it. I can see it in her. The color has begun to make its way back to her skin. Her smile looks more honest. Her excitement is more genuine. It's not the end, she still has so so far to go, and while all of these things have started to return, they will waver, and it will take time, but it's a start. It's hope.