24. Investigation

The next day—after a train ride free of odd strangers—the four arrived back at Endeavor agency. Kuri was excited to hear more about the "special investigation", though she suspected it was code for "not real work".

They were once again welcomed into Endeavor's office, where their employer was sitting at his desk. He stood up as they walked in, picking up a file and bringing it to the couches they'd sat on before.

Once again, Kuri and the three boys crowded themselves onto one couch while Endeavor sat on the other. This time, she was sandwiched between Bakugo and Midoriya. Talk about awkward...

"Picking up where we left off yesterday," Endeavor said, "My agency has been tasked with helping in a case about a vigilante duo who have been going around and murdering criminals."

Vigilantes. Kuri had never quite decided if she agreed with their actions or not. Most of them seemed to do things for the greater good. Just not with super great methods... Though, to be fair, professional heroes weren't perfect either.

"This case is not currently disclosed to the public," he continued. "But the police have been working on it for weeks. It's now been assigned to my agency due to the arrival of you four."

"Why's that?" Midoriya asked. Endeavor sighed.

"The police thought it would be better for students to perform certain parts of the investigative work since many of the authorities who have tried to stop these vigilantes have been... killed."

Kuri blinked.

"Um, sir," she said. "Why would they want children to investigate a case where the investigators are actively being murdered? Isn't that kind of... unethical?"

Well, not just kind of... but whatever.

Endeavor sighed again.

"I'm not in charge of this case. However, the idea is that the vigilantes are unlikely to target you if you are not law enforcement. Additionally, you will have backup nearby during your confrontation with them."

The police seem pretty desperate to take them down, considering they're going as far as to make high school students do their work for them...

"I'll let you four take a look at the case file now," Endeavor said, sliding it across the table towards them.

Midoriya leaned forward and opened it, revealing the profile of one of the two vigilantes. Kuri leaned in to get a closer look and gasped.

In the top left corner of the page was a face that she recognized. Bright pink, wavy hair; cold eyes; a smirk on her face; thick black eyeliner.

"Oh my god. It's her," Kuri said. "The woman from the train."

"You've met her?" Endeavor asked.

"Yesterday, she was on the same train as us. She talked to Bun—uh, Nakano about the sports festival. Said she did good or whatever," Bakugo answered.

"Shit..." Endeavor very audibly whispered, staring at the floor, deep in thought. He turned back to them. "I'll contact the head of the investigation and ask whether we should proceed with the plan to confront them. You can keep looking at the file for now. I've got to make a call."

Then, Endeavor got up and left the room. The four looked at each other.

"...Guess we should look at the case file then," Todoroki said. The four of them crowded around the table and began to read.

Nana Sakamoto, it read at the top of her profile. Twenty-one years old and an alumnus of UA, she had once been a pro hero. She'd worked as a sidekick and quit about six months prior before starting her new career as a wanted criminal.