Chapter 25

Nightwave

Sand met the rocky landscape as they landed, all tired from the long flight. Nightwave let himself flop to the ground after making sure everyone was alright.

He looked up to find Calve, the newest addition to their party, staring at him with a sorrowful face.

"What?" He asked. "Are you concerned about Moose being an animus?"

"I'm concerned about you." She said and layed next to him. "You're a hybrid between a NightWing and a SeaWing."

"Wow, I had no idea." Nightwave had no intention of sounding rude, he was just too tired to talk.

"Cyaneous is your father, I presume?" She tilted her head at him. Nightwave was now too shocked to even speak. She nodded. "I thought so. He used to talk about you, his cell was next to mine. He had always hoped that he would get out one day and find you and, Euxine, was it? That dragon was so hopeful it was contagious. Before we knew it he was gone, no one would say what happened to him. Probably eliminating the hope of escape and freedom."

"My father... is alive?" Nightwave lifted his head, trying to fight back whatever emotion was trying to rip out of his chest.

"Maybe he was alive. I don't know if he's escaped or set free or killed." Calve said, sitting in silence. She was letting the sand cascade from her lifted talons. Nightwave checked her mind to see if this was a trick, only finding Calve thinking about all the jokes she and his father would share.

It was him. He is - was? - alive.

He heard the others planning something nearby and he leaped up.

"We need help to reclaim the SandWing throne." Queen Aloe said in her queenly voice. "We could try going to the IceWings.

"The Order of the Moons." Nightwave said as he approached the gathered dragons. "I know where their main base is, and I know several dragons there. If we go to them the Queens and Kings have to listen to us."

"I know they will listen to me." Calve said behind him. "I was one of the first SandWings to join, and I've made myself known among the order. They will be very interested in knowing about their kidnapped members."

"I'll come with as well." Moose said. "I kinda left after joining, they might want to know what happened."

"I can take the King and Queen to the rain forest. The RainWings can offer protection and they are notorious for blending in." Stratus spoke, nodding to the SandWing royalty, who had no complaints about the idea.

"I'll come with." Sobek declared.

"Sobek," The Queen said. "I would like you to go with the other two to the Kingdom of the Sea." She gestured to Crab and Orion. "We'll need all the help we can get, and I'm close friends with Queen Lake. She needs to know."

The other two simply bowed their heads to the Queen, too afraid to object.

After they had all separated into their groups and layed out to sleep, Nightwave was ready to close his eyes.

Talons approached him and he looked up to see Orion standing over him.

"Um, Nightwave?" He asked. "Can you do something for me?"

"Sure. What is it?" Nightwave was curious.

"If you see a RainWing, their name is Storm, can you... can you take them with? If you tell them that I'm with you they'll gladly follow."

Nightwave recognized the name, it appeared in Orion's name often. He knew what they looked like, so it'd be easy. He nodded at the NightWing, who strangely bonked his forehead to his and the dashed off.

From the sounds of it, it was if a war was coming. A war against Tumbleweed.