Chapter-4

I was walking behind that man as we went in the elevator, bridge, and he took me behind the long desk on the main building where a sliding door led to a hallway that divided into five paths. How big was this place?

He took the second path and scurried to the end where there was another room with a digital board Ethel Whitlock, CEO. He knocked on the door and a soft voice said to enter. He opened the door for me and I went in a quaint study room where behind a table in a long-backed chair sat Ethel Whitlock, a 55-year-old lady with straight, short white hair till her shoulder, her eyes gleaming yellow which I was sure lenses. She wore a gray blazer and her hotel logo was on the left chest of the dress where there was also a pin of a strange bird.

"Hello and welcome to Grand Constellation, Ms. Drewitt," said Ethel, her voice sweet as the honey. "I hope it was everything you expected?"

"It was more than I expected, mam" I said, smiling.

"Ethel is just fine. Take a seat" said Ethel and she sat down too.

"It is an honor to meet you, Ethel. I've read about you a lot. I always tell my daughter to think and be like you" I said.

"I am sure she will be far better than me," said Ethel, smiling. "I, uh, I asked you here just to meet you and also invite you to have dinner with me today at twilight. I hope it's alright?" asked Ethel.

"Of course. Thank you" I replied. "Can I bring my kids?"

"Of course, you can. You can bring whoever you want. It's a private hall dinner and I'm inviting just a few families" said Ethel.

I was confused. Why would she want to have dinner with me? I am a nobody. I am not even as rich as Caleb.

"Why?" I just asked.

"Why what?"

"Why are you inviting me?"

"Should I need to have a reason to invite someone for a dinner?"

"Probably not"

"Then I will see you at 7"

I got up and just left as she got back to her work on the hologram screens that just appeared before her. I walked back to the reception hall without even realizing I did. All that could I think is why did she invite me? Dammit, I started doing it again, I said to myself. I always obsess over small things that probably do not mean anything in the end. I went back to my room and the kids have returned, waiting outside the room.

"Where did you go, mom?" asked Jimmie.

"I met with Ethel Whitlock" I replied.

"Shut up! The CEO of this hotel? What did she want?" asked Dina, surprised.

"She invited us to her private dinner"

"Her private dinner?"

I turned and saw Caleb standing behind me with Jacelyn.

"Mom just met with Ethel Whitlock," said Dina. "She invited us for dinner"

"Uh, yeah. She said I can bring whoever I want. But you both can come, I guess" I said.

"I don't think she invited you because she somehow knew you. She must have known my family and some might have never known we are divorced. So, she probably thought you were my wife to invite me to the dinner" said Caleb.

"That seems the plausible explanation," said Jacelyn. "That's why I said we should have a big wedding!"

"We will all go to this dinner, then. Be ready at...?" said Caleb.