Chapter-9

"That is crazy!" I said. "The senator is not only protected by the security of this hotel but also by the personal security of the senator himself"

He laughed and coughed at the same time.

"If you think everyone who is in the hotel now is safe, you're wrong. No one is ever safe in that hotel. They are nothing to them, to her. She will get what she wants" he said.

"What is that exactly?" I asked.

"I haven't quite figured that out, yet. But my guess would be for money" he replied. "We all do what we do for nothing but money. Because without it, we can't survive on earth"

"That can't be the only reason" I said.

"Maybe you're right and maybe you're wrong. It doesn't matter. What now matters is how we're gonna stop them" he said.

"No. I can't do this. I have two kids who need me. Two kids who I have to protect. You should call the police and tell them all the proof we have till now and they will take care of everything" I said.

"Don't you get it? she will get out of everything! She has gotten out of everything till now without risking anything and now that she's losing time, she will do it a lot faster and will kill everyone if she needs to" he said.

"I'm not a detective or forensic who knows about things like this. I'm just an accountant and I don't wanna leave my kids if anything happens to me" I said.

"If you don't do this and expose her, you will lose everything" he said and started coughing. Then I heard him popping some pills and cleared his throat.

"What do you want me to do?" I asked.

"I want you to go and learn whatever you can about these two deaths" he replied. "See if you can find the cause or who done it"

"Okay. Fine" I sighed and cut the call.

I walked by and saw Craig and Eleanor coming back from getting martinis.

"Guys, did you hear?" I asked.

"Yeah, poor souls" Craig replied as he signed to Eleanor.

"This might sound bonkers, but you guys should leave the hotel while you still can. I have a little job and I'm leaving, too" I said.

"Why? did you hear anything?" asked Craig.

"No, no. I heard already three families left. The news says something fishy is going on and I don't wanna take any risk. You guys are just starting your life. So, think about it" I replied.

"You're scaring us, Lea," said Craig. "What do you know?"

"Did you see anything?" signed Eleanor.

"I can't say anything. But you should trust me and leave this hotel" I said and signed.

They shared looks.

"Please, tell me you're joking." said Craig.

"No, I'm deadly serious. Save yourselves while you still can" I said. "That is all I can say for now. Trust me"

I left and went in on the elevator, leaving those two confused and scared. I did not know how else I can save them. I wanted to save everyone. I wanted to warn everyone, but without proof, no one would believe me. The elevator finally reached the bridge but it crashed onto something below and it stuck. I pressed the door open button and I jumped out of the elevator which is standing halfway. People were staring at me and the elevator and some had their hands on their mouths, their faces froze.