Chapter 6: 5/7

At the Premier's cottage, Sasha had just finished washing up for bed in her room. It had been a long day of learning and gardening. She was tired and ready for bed.

She grabbed a towel, dried her face, and looked in the mirror.

But instead of her reflection, it was as if she was looking through a window into a room. It was a large bedroom. In it was an enormous bed surrounded by thick beg curtains. At the foot of the bed, King Rod sat, his legs stretched out. General Nile pulled at the king's boots, likely getting him ready for bed.

"That was a reckless thing to do, sire," Nile informed as he neatly placed the boots at the edge of the large bed frame.

"Heh. I wish the arrow had hit her." Rod bitterly stated. His hatred growing far beyond his control. His front was breaking and he was losing his grip on the little sanity he held dear.

"The entire country would have called you a murderer. These things must be done at the proper time and the proper place." Nile said and stood up straight before Rod, who seemed to be deep in thought.

"Hm. Is that right? Where has Kaven gone, General?" Rod asked as his eyes stayed on a light reflection in the corner of his room. It was caused by the moon shining through his window.

"Home, I believe." Nile nodded.

"Huh. Well, the proper time is now. And the proper place is at her house. You know what must be done. See to it." Rod's voice was leaking uncanny amounts of hostility. But Nile followed orders.

"Yes, Sire." General Nile marched out of the room.

Sasha watched as the king threw himself onto the thick cushions of his bed. He seemed to fall asleep so quickly, with steady and low snores coming from his comatose body.
The room was still for a moment.
Then a shadow moved in the window, making Sasha flinch. The curtains parted, and a man Sasha had never seen before stepped out. He glanced nervously at the king on his bed.

Then he crossed the room and leaned against the wall next to the bookcase. Watching the king closely, he reached closer to the chair rail that lined the wall and pressed something along the top.

A secret door in the panel opened. He slipped out of the room, the secret door closed and the wall looked as solid as it had before.

Sasha trembled for a moment.

But then it all disappeared. Replaced but Sasha's face in the mirror.

She looked pale. Her knees felt weak. Her hands and wrist ached from clutching the washstand so tightly. She released it and let out a groan of relief and pain as the pressure that was built up escaped her.

Composing herself, she splashed water on her face, dried off, and went to bed.

Kaven and the boys made it home from the palace

Kaven and the boys made it home from the palace. The stress and the adrenaline rush from half an hour before ran their energy dry. Having someone you care about almost get killed takes it out of any boy.