The Team

Maya was in the kitchen of her apartment, trying hard to make a pork tenderloin and a side of roasted veggies for her date night with Carina. She had invited the Italian over and promised to cook dinner.

Maya was not a great cook, she wasn't even in the top five at the station, but her food was usually edible and tasted decently good. It was nothing like Carina's incredible Italian cooking that blew Maya's mind every single time, but this was one dish Maya was actually good at. It was currently 5:30 and Carina was going to be there any minute.

Just as Maya was finishing her final flip on the veggie, her phone dinged. She figured it was Carina, telling her she was on her way up.

However, when she pulled out her phone, she saw it was Andy, inviting her to go out to Joe's with the team that night. Maya's jaw dropped as she re-read the message three times and probably would have kept reading it except there was a knock on her door. She walked over to the door, still staring at her phone as she opened it.

"Hi Bella," Carina said, knowing instantly that something was off with her girlfriend, "What's wrong?"

"Hi," Maya said, coming out of her daze, "Sorry. Hello. I missed you."

"Hi," Carina said as Maya leaned up and kissed her, "Now, what is wrong?"

"Nothing's wrong," Maya said, "Actually, I think it's the opposite of wrong. Andy just invited me to go out to Joe's with the team tonight."

"Oh Bella," Carina said, smiling as she watched Maya smile, "That is great. I am so happy for you."

"But tonight, is our date night," Maya said, looking at Carina, "I can't go out."

"Yes you can," Carina nodded, "I know how important this is to you. We can have date night another night."

"Or...never mind," Maya said as they walked into the kitchen, "I don't want to cancel date night though. It's been like 4 days since we have gotten to spend any time together."

"What were you going to suggest?" Carina said as Maya pulled out two plates while Carina got some silverware.

"Would you maybe...wanttocometothebarandmeetmyteam?" Maya said quickly.

"What?" Carina said, laughing, "Ok, Maya, you know English is my second language and while I am very good at it, I need you to slow down, just a little bit."

"Ok," Maya said, taking a deep breath, "Would you like to come to the bar tonight and meet me team and hang out? I would really like to let them all meet you and I think you would probably like them and I know you've met Travis already and maybe it's a terrible idea. We can just stay in and watch a movie and do other stuff tonight. I'm sure my team will invite me out again."

"Do I get a chance to tell you what I think?" Carina laughed a little as Maya poured them both a glass of wine.

"Yeah, of course," Maya nodded, handing her a glass of wine, "Sorry."

"It's ok," Carina smiled, planting a small kiss on Maya's lips, "I would actually love to come with you to Joe's and meet your team."

"Are you serious?" Maya said, biting her lip.

"Si," Carina nodded, "They are a big part of your life and I want to meet them. What time are they going?"

"Like 8," Maya said, "So we can have dinner and hang out for a little bit if you want."

"Sounds good," Carina nodded, "Now, do you need any help with dinner?"

"No," Maya said, "You can just sit and relax. Tell me about your day."