Chapter 5 - What a Homosexual Night to Remeber

Car engines revved and traffic lights flashed around the gloomy park. Blown out streetlights loomed over the trees. The starlight and the faint glow of the moon did little to illuminate the park to humans. However, vampires had darkvision: the ability to see in the dark. Gerard could increase or decrease their darkvision at will—monochrome darkness to full saturated vision.

As Gerard's darkvision adjusted, Frank wandered towards a derelict playground. The slide capsized and the multiple rods missing from the monkey bars.

Gerard misted behind Frank, careful not to make any noise.

Frank mumbled into his recorder, "...touched for over half an hour. Preparations for seduction? Bloodsucking? Murder? I escaped their grasp. Though, the effects are unknown. Might feel a heartache tomorrow."

From behind him, Gerard whispered, "Escaped have you, Frankie?"

Frank shrieked and bounced back. His wide eye's darting across Gerard's body, petrified—to be fair, they did sneak up on him, they did deserve it, "...How...What..." Frank glanced around, "I—"

Frank's ringtone echoed from his pocket.

Gerard rubbed their elbow, "Have you answered your mum yet?"

In a lot of ways, Catherine was alike Frank, overly concerned about everyone around them, worry about the smallest details, passionate about the things they cared deeply about. She texted them once a month to check on Frank; she always knew when her son lied.

Frank clenched the silver cross from around his neck, "Stay back, fiend."

Gerard's platforms kicked a stone towards Frank, "Why didn't you want to dance with me?"

Gerard hoped they hadn't actually offended Frank, not in the vampire sense, but the real sense. They considered Frank their friend—no—their best friend, even if Frank only thought of them as a vampiric roommate.

"I told you," Frank scratched the palm of his hands. "I don't dance."

"I'm sorry if I made you uncomfortable—"

"No, Gerard, it's just..." Frank let go of their cross and it bounced against their chest. "Sensory overload."

Gerard nodded. They didn't know exactly how Frank felt, but too much sunlight, too much garlic, too many humans exhausted them—much more fun staying active at night.

"Sorry," Gerard rubbed their elbow. "I just... wanted you to have fun."

Frank glared down at their cross, "Oh."

Gerard twirled a locket of their hair, "Are you okay?"

Not only a question for Frank's mum but something was up with Frank.

"Says the vampire who downed fifty pills."

Gerard smiled, that they did too. They loved Frank's concern for them, "Your mum is probably worried sick. You should call her—"

Frank huffed and marched in the direction of the playground, "You don't know anything about me."

"Frankie," Gerard misted to his side and walked next to him. "I know everything about you. You're an aspiring vampire hunter—"

"I am a vampire hunter."

Gerard stuck their tongue out of the side of their mouth, "How many vampires have you slain?"

Frank fell silent and picked up the pace.

Gerard followed, "You're currently reading Vampires: A Mysterious Investigation, which I have to say was a shit read, half the information isn't even sourced—"