02

Julian and Milo's bakery is small, a quiet corner shop with an unassuming front, the small signage almost missable, "J&M Bakers" in plain font just above the door, and inside it's similarly simple, warm and comfortable with a few tables and chairs and a counter for the dine-in customers, but otherwise it's a very clean set-up of white, lots of marble and wood and all the attention is on the baked goods.

There's a wide selection available, but Amir pays no mind to it, going up to the counter and the handsome man with the impeccable hair behind it, and glances at the other worker working behind on one of the metal tables on the open kitchen, icing cupcakes with pink-tipped yellow buttercream in gorgeous flower designs, and he's pretty too, eyes sparkling as he works and Amir wonders how a place can have so many good-looking men, but the one he wants to see is nowhere in sight.

"Hello, what can I do for you?" the man behind the counter greets him with a smile, a simple name tag pinned to his button-up reading 'Jamie' under the label 'Manager/Barista.'

"I'm here to order a cake," he replies clearing his throat and smiling, trying not to look to nervous. "Custom."

"Ah," Jamie nods, "do you have an appointment? Our head baker is unfortunately not available today."

Amir blinks, "Oh. I don't."

"Let me see what I can do for you," he says, and he makes his way to the decorator, and Amir looks down at his feet, trying to listen in on their hushed conversation, but to no avail.

"Hello," the other man comes back with Jamie, smiling, wiping his hands on his apron. "I'm Levi, I'm the assistant decorator. I understand you're looking for a special customized cake?"

"I am," he says, trying to stand a little straighter. "I, um, I can come back, if no one is available to talk today?"

"Milo is upstairs, he's completing a birthday cake order," Levi says, and Amir fights not to bite his lips, but fails a little. He catches the look on Levi's face, but he continues professionally, "He's the head decorator, if you're willing to wait, he'll be done in a bit's time?"

"Sure," he says a little too quickly, and Jamie's eyes glint, and Amir knows he's not being subtle. For their trouble, he orders a chocolate and malted milk buttercream cupcake on Jamie's recommendation, and it's delicious, and he doesn't care much to hide his moan when he takes his first bite.

He watches as they work, as Jamie mans the counter for the steady, heavy stream of customers that come by, many new and many seeming to be regulars, Jamie and Levi greeting many by name, and it occurs to Amir that the place is evidently very famous. He watches as Levi decorates pastry after pastry, drizzling chocolate over strawberries like an art form and piping out the most gorgeous cookies, watches Jamie charm every customer with the most gracious smile, recommending products with thoughtful care considering each person's inquiries, pairing them easily with a complimenting drink from their drinks menu. Amir remembers Julian and his endearing curled lips and Milo who was pretty much Amir's perfect man and he thinks he knows how this place is so popular and never running out of customers, perfect pastries and cakes aside.

It takes about half an hour before Milo is coming up from the back, carrying a gorgeous cake, a large imitation of a rosebud in a beautiful rainbow ombré, and he smiles shyly at the praise his customer gives him, well-deserved. His hair is tied up and his skin is glowing and Amir downs the rest of his tea in one go, his throat suddenly dry. He sees the other patrons give him the appreciative once over, and he gets it, but his competitive side is getting the better of him, thinking suddenly 'mine, mine, mine-'

"Ah, hello Amir," he greets when the customer leaves and he sees him, and his smile is like sunshine. Amir smiles, absolutely giddy that he's remembered, by name, and he stands, approaching the counter.