Nate Hansen

My phone vibrated in my pocket, thank God Mrs. Gibson was at the other side of the room. The text I got from Ashton sounded like he was having a pretty tough time.

"Sorry man, that sucks. Is she hot though? Just kidding, just kidding."

He responded back and didn't think my joke was that funny. "Really man? Wow. Real mature."

"Sorry, gotta make the best out of every moment. But hey, you should transfer to my school, then we could hangout!" But I already knew the answer was going to be he can't.

"You know I can't Nate. I would if I could in a heartbeat."

"Ooooh is Nate texting his girlfriend?" Brent joked.

I just looked up at him and gave him a glare. "Yeah because my girlfriend is totally a guy..."

"You never know, you could finally be coming out of the closet!" Jacob said and all the guys laughed. I just rolled my eyes.

"Hey man I gotta go, teacher's comin' over, im gonna get busted!"

"Ok, text you at lunch."

I quickly shoved my phone in my pocket just as the teacher walked over.

"If you boys know, drawing requires complete concentration so any distractions can be difficult when you are making a pen stroke. The next time I have to come over here, all of you are getting a detention."

Everyone at our table quickly started drawing again, shading more and adding value to the picture.

The bell rang and I went to my next class, Algebra 2. Well this is going to be fun, because math is always my favorite subject. That new girl from drawing was in my next class too. She must be really embarrassed and shy because she chose the desk farthest from where I was sitting.

Wow. Girls get embarrassed and hide from their crushes? You learn something new everyday.

I just chose a random desk next to the wall so I can look out the window when I get bored (which I obviously will). Our teacher lets us pick a new seat every day, thank goodness. I would die if we had assigned seats.

But guess who decided to sit down right next to me? Chloe.

"Hey! But we should hang out the next weekend after this one. Remember what I was talking about in the parking lot??"

Wow this girl does not stop to get what she wants.

"You know, Chloe, I'm really not looking for a girlfriend right now if that's where you want to go with me. I'm sorry."

"Oh. Ok then." She got up from the seat and walked away from me, towards her other girl-friends. I heard them going "Awww" and "You'll find someone better than him, trust me". I think I made her cry too, which I was trying not to do.

Girls are so emotional.

Brent took the seat that Chloe previously sat down in.

"Dude did you make her cry? Wow. Did you reject her?"

"I-I wasn't trying to be mean... I just told her I don't want a girlfriend right now, which is completely true."

"Ouch. You just crushed her." Brent was shaking his head. I just sighed.

"Class, today I am assigning seats because you have had your freedom for the first two weeks of school." I jinxed it. Crap.

Our teacher called out all of the students and pointed to the desks where they now sit. And he placed me and the new girl next to each other. Her name is Claire.

"Hi I'm Nate." I said with a smile.

She blushed. "I-I'm Claire."

She had dark brown hair with blonde dip-dyed tips. It looked pretty cool.

"So, I guess we are sitting next to each other now... I hope you are good at math because I'm not. I'll ask you a bunch of questions on how to do things, just fore-warning you." I tried to break the ice.

"Well, good for you I am okay at math." She smiled back an innocent smile.

"Great. We'll get along just fine."