5

"So McKenna, how's life been?" Colin asks sitting down on the chair across from me while Scarlett and I start eating our lunch. Scarlett, who's sitting beside Colin, gives him a 'really?' look. I'm not sure how much this Colin guy knows of my life but I'm assuming he knows about me being an orphan. So I'm not really sure why he thinks this question was a good thing to ask. 

"Well, I'm still alive so I guess life has been going," I answer him after swallowing my first bite. My appetite suddenly faded away after hearing his question. 

"You're fifteen right?" he asks for confirmation and I nod in response which prompts him to continue, "what do you do for fun?" 

"There was never a chance to do something for fun," I tell him and I notice Scarlett giving Colin a warning look making me roll my eyes. "That can't be true-" he starts.

"Believe it because it is true." I cut him off before looking at Scarlett, "thank you for lunch but could I be excused? I would like to rest. I'll eat my leftovers for later." 

Scarlett nods, "of course honey." I send her a tight lip thankful smile before picking up my leftovers and going into the kitchen. I go through the drawers looking for foil to cover my plate and after I finally cover the plate, I placed my leftovers in the fridge. 

I make my way upstairs and I can hear Scarlett and Colin arguing in hushed voices, I bet it's about Colin's insensitive questions. 

I walk into my room and jump a little because of the toddler sitting on my bed waiting for me. "McKenna! Can you play with me now?" Rose asks excitedly and as much as I want to just lay down, I don't have the heart to say no to her. 

"Of course nugget," I smile softly at her and she squeals jumping off the bed and coming over to me to grab my wrist and pull me over to her room. 

Rose and I start started playing with her action figures, her making up stories and me following along. After maybe an hour of playing with Rose, Scarlett knocks on her door making the toddler and I pause for a sec to look at her. 

"There you are Rose, I see you've kidnapped Mac," Scarlett says softly as she makes her way to us and sits on the floor between Rose and me, now us three sitting in a circle. I watch her pick up an action figure and seamlessly join our little action game. I got caught up watching her play that Rose had to tap my knee to pay attention. 

I swallow and try to continue playing with the little one but having to keep sad thoughts from invading my mind was difficult. This was the childhood that I missed out on. I never got to play, I never got to let my imagination roam around, I never had a childhood. 

Sitting on this carpeted floor playing with Rose feels bittersweet to me but right at this moment, I make a promise to myself to protect this little bean in front of me at all cost. I've faced more things in the fifteen years I've been alive than some people who are doubled my age. And I promise to make sure Rose doesn't ever have to feel even a quarter of the pain I've felt at her age. 

I smile softly at the little girl in front of me, "hey bubs is it okay if I go rest for a little bit? We can play again later once I'm more rested."

She pouts slightly but smiles again when I proposed to play again later, "okay we can play again later." I smile at her and kiss her forehead before getting up and walking out of her room making my way into my room and closing the door. 

I sigh and walk over to my bed picking up my journal and putting it on my bedside table. I get under the covers and stare up the ceiling and before I know it sleeps welcomed me. 

I'm not sure how long I was asleep for but Rose just woke me up for dinner, "come on Kenz! mama made spaghetti and meatballs, my favorite!" 

I chuckle at her excitement while I get out of bed, "okay bubs let me just use the washroom and we can head downstairs for dinner okay?" She nods in response and sits on the edge of my bed waiting patiently.