Chapter 1: Humiliation

February 4th, 2020

-Taytum's Point of View-

Holding the tray, I looked around the cafeteria and felt all eyes on me. It might've been my anxiety or just paranoia, I honestly couldn't tell anymore. I tried fitting in with the crowd, but the only crowd I fit in with was the forgotten. I began to walk towards an empty table in the back when my eyes landed on the most stunning and handsome guy in Thomas Jefferson High. His name was Tyler Ashton and I known him since middle school, but of course he never noticed me. As most girls would say, I was far from his type and stupid me believed them.

Distracted, I did not see some jerk put their foot out in front of me and without realizing, I tripped while my face landed in my tray of spaghetti. There was complete silence, but it was soon filled with the obnoxious laughs from the table the jerk sat at. I quickly got up and bolted out of the cafeteria not sparing any other glances my way.

-

Waking up in a pool of sweat, I realized it was all a nightmare from yesterday. I dreaded today though because I knew what happened Monday would be the talk for Today and I was not ready for it. Getting out of bed, I headed in the bathroom to take a shower. The warm water pouring down on my frail body almost made me forget about everything. I knew I should've told my parents about what's been going on in school, but how could they possibly understand? My mom was the captain of the cheerleading squad and was voted Miss Homecoming and Prom queen in high school while my dad was the captain of the football team, so really they couldn't possibly understand.

Standing up for myself really didn't help either because all it did was make myself an even bigger target. All I could do was pick myself right back up and walk away, praying things would get easier in college, but would it really?

There was a knock on the bathroom door and a calming sweet voice began to speak, "Tay, honey breakfast is ready when you get out."

"Ok mom, thanks I'll be out soon." I sighed.

"...And..." There was a short pause. "...We need to talk. I'm worried about you Tay."

"Yea, sure mom got it." I hastily said.

There wasn't another response so I assumed she just left, she could clearly tell I was not in the mood for talking. I ended my shower briefly and went inside my closet to pick out a plaid shirt, a white tank, and some jeans to throw on.

-

I sat at the table, and took my glasses off as I picked up my fork to eat my food. "Morning mom, dad."

"Good morning Tay." Dad smiled warmly at me, but it soon disappeared when he looked at mom as she looked at me.

"Taytum, I want you to be honest with your dad and I. What is going on? You've been so distant to the point its like we don't even have a daughter anymore, you're like a stranger now." She shifted her gaze to my arm where I failed to cover up my scars. Mom abruptly picked up my arm and looked at it with pure shock. "What is this?"

A little panic escaped in my voice. "It's nothing." I tried to twist my arm from out of her grasp, but she was super strong.

"Honey, she's dealing with a lot at the moment." Dad explained.

Horror filled my mom's eyes as she turned to my dad and said, "You knew?"

"I...yes." He said ashamedly.

"You KNEW and you didn't tell ME!? We're supposed to be a damn family, how DARE you not tell me our daughter is cutting herself? Did you want her to one day end up just like Julie?"