Chapter 3: Basketball Practice

-February 4th, 2020-

-Taytum's Point of View-

   I was warming up on the basketball court practicing my lay-ups distracting myself from the drama that occurred today. I was actually pretty good at basketball and it distracted me from the shit show my life was in. The girls on my team were welcoming as well, they could see I had real talent and never treated me like I was beneath them. As the girls were warming up for the scrimmage, I noticed familiar faces  I dreaded to see. Jess and Avery, Veronica's minions were twirling their hair while engaging in conversations with Aaron and Tyler. I couldn't help but look at Max as he sat next to them clearly annoyed. The he noticed me staring at him and he gorgeously smiled as I quickly looked away.

   During our scrimmage, we played in a formation shaped liked a star. I was the forward right wing, Amber was the forward left wing, Christa and Sam were our back pointers, while Justine was our top pointer. We looked pretty bad ass and we played well against our substitutes, Lily, Lia, Becca, Toria, and Logan. We had a game against Alexandria High which was extremely important because if we win, we'd go to bayside for a championship. While the scrimmage was in play, there was a wet spot on the court. I was too late to notice it and my ass ended up falling. Mrs. Brogan came running over to check if I was alright and scolded the janitors for not spotting it before practice started. I heard very obvious snickering and across the court sitting on the bleachers, I saw Aaron, Tyler, Veronica, and her groupies just laughing it up at my fall. I ignored them as I got up and focused my attention on practice. Meanwhile, Mrs. Brogan turned her attention towards the laughing stock and immediately kicked them out for being childish.

-

   After practice, I headed into the locker room to take a quick shower and get dressed so I could head out to leave. In the parking lot, I spotted a face I haven't seen in three years. It was my cousin, Cassidy and she immediately ran over to me and wrapped me in a bear hug.

   "Taytum, it's so damn good to see you girl!" She beamed with excitement. "You look so effing hot like damn what happened to the shy little Tay-Tay that I used to call my partner in crime?"

   "Not you calling me Tay-Tay, I haven't heard that since we was little." I laughed. "I've missed you. Why it take you so long to come and see me? You didn't forget about me, right?"

   "I could never forget about you. We've been the bestest friends since we were in diapers. But you know I've been busy with college, I can't believe I'm already a junior."

   "How is college?" I asked.

   "It's good, the workload is mad annoying though, but-" She paused. "Taytum...uh what happened to your face?"

   Not this question again. I simply shook my head and said, "It was an accident."

   She looked at me with that all too knowing look. "Don't tell me those lame ass wannabes are still messing with you? Which one of them put their hands on you?" She snapped.

   "Guess."

   "Ouu, I am so gonna put that skank in her place-" Cassidy cut herself off as she pointed behind me. "Taytum, whose that?"

   I turned my head and saw Max walking to where me and Cass were standing. I started freaking out, I didn't wanna talk to him with Cassidy here; all she'd do is embarrass me and start making weird kissing noises. But oh my god, the way he sauntered over with his hand in his hair with that intense smirk he did every time he saw me, I just wanted to collapse right then and there. He eventually reached his way over towards us while putting an arm around my shoulder. The nerve this dude had, what the hell was he doing?

   "Um who are you?" Cassidy looked at him baffled.

   "My bad I'm Max, Tate's friend." He held his hand out to shake hers.

   "Tate..." She said raising her eyebrow.

   I butted in and looked between them frantically. "Yea, we just met today. Max, this is my cousin Cassidy."

   Cassidy stared at the two of us and mouthed, "Taytum, you didn't tell me your friend here was a total hottie."

  I glared at her as I felt the redness in my cheeks slowly start to creep up. Max noticed and began laughing. I seriously didn't like him, I could tell he was enjoying this a lot. In the corner of my eyes, I saw Veronica standing near Tyler and oh boy she did not look happy at all when she saw Max's arm around me. I quickly removed myself from Max and wrapped my arms around myself hoping and praying Veronica would just back off.

  Cass caught the worrisome on my face as she turned and saw who I was staring at. She excused herself and turned to walk towards Veronica. I yelled out, "Please Cass, don't!" I pleaded, but she simply ignored me and kept walking. Annoyed and anxious, I followed after with Max close behind.

   "Listen here you knock off wannabe barbie." She hissed. "This is my family, that means if you mess with her, you're messing with family and I don't take that lightly. Stay away from Taytum and if you ever put your damn hands on her again, I will personally put your ass in a hospital bed. Don't mess with me. Taytum might be scared to step up to you, but I sure as hell am not, so I dare you to try me." Cassidy stepped up to Veronica's face. The stunned expression on Veronica's face gave Cassidy an instant win. She quickly fixed her composure while rolling her eyes and walking away.

   I couldn't believe that happened, I was so sure there would've been a cat fight and the cops being called, but it wasn't. And then I became grateful that someone, my cousin stood up for me like she used to when we was younger. It reminded me of the good ole days where Julie and Cassidy would both have my back.

   "Cass, I can't believe you did that." I said with a shaky breath. "What the hell were you thinking?"

   "I was thinking that it was about time you stood up to a witch like Veronica. She's all bark and no bite unless you give her the bone and allow her to pick on you continuously because you won't do nothing about it. You're a senior Tay and about to graduate. Don't let that bitch walk all over you and stop letting her steal your joy. Got me?" She asked.

   "Yea, I got you. Thanks by the way, Cass. I'm so glad to have the dynamic duo back." I smiled grateful.

   "That's what family and best-friends are for." She gave me a hug. "Well are you ready to head out?"

   "I was hoping you'd say that."

   Max turned to me and said, "I'll see you later. Don't forget my party is Friday night." He winked and left.

   "Did someone say party?" Cassidy eye's lit up.