Chapter 18

•School•

Craig P.O.V

I got up a bit early and got ready for school. I went down stairs and made  a bowl of cereal. I couldn't get that dream out of my head. Especially seeing my own Mom laying there right in front of me. Dead and surrounded by drugs and blunts. The disrespect I give my mom stops today. Right now.

When I was done eating my cereal. My Mom walked in. Smiling. Have I ever told y'all how beautiful my Mom is?

Arian (Craig's Mom): Wow. You're up early.

Craig: Couldn't go back to sleep so I got an early start.

Her facial expression went from happy to worried. She started feeling my forehead and neck.

Arian: Are you ok baby? Are you sick?

Craig: I'm fine Mom. I promise.

She looked unconvinced.

Arian: Alright then.

Jojo enters with whipped cream on his face. I laughed and a sip of my water.

Jojo: And you did this because...?

Craig: Just to get back at ya.

Jojo: Scooping up to my level I see.

Craig: Boy, you ain't no where near my level.

Jojo: You thought. Anyways! Where's dad?

Arian: They called him in way early so he'll be home by the time you're home

Jojo: Ok

Craig: Well. I'm off to school. I need to see someone.

Jojo: Don't come back

Arian: See you later honey

I kissed her on her forehead and left. I walked out too fast to see her reaction. She was probably surprised.

_________________________________________

•School•

I needed to see Vernica asap. I knew she would be in the peer counseling room before school. I entered quietly and sat down. She was printing something so her back was facing me. She looked good. More than usual. .

Craig: ....... GOOD MORNING!

She freaked out and held her chest giving me a surprised yet scared look. Can I tell you I scared the shit outta her?? She drop a ton of printing paper on the floor. I was dying on the floor laughing.

Vernica: Oh my gosh! You scared the crap out of me!

I was still laughing while she was picking up papers. She was angry. She looks so cute angry. I died down my laughter and helped her out. I handed her the papers and sat on the table next to us. She was still angry.

Craig: Come on now that was funny.

Vernica: To you. What are you doing here?

Craig: I wanted to see you. Talk to you.

She looked down blushing trying to hide here face.

Vernica: Well why?

Craig: All the smack you were talking about the other day.... You were right.

She stood in front of me.

Vernica: I know I'm right

Craig: Seriously...

Vernica: What? I am.

Craig: Look. I really want to get my life back together. Especially school. So... Can you please help me?

Vernica: Well I'm already helping you out with school but everything I think I can help you with. Just maybe.

Craig: Promise?

Vernica: Slow your roll Crippen I'm not a miracle worker.

Craig: Please ma. I trust you. I know I've done some stuff to you in the past but I know you can look past it.

I took both of her hands and looked into her eyes.

Craig: Please....

Vernica: ...... Ok I'll help you... BUT ...you gotta help yourself too.

Craig: Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

She smiled. I hugged her tightly. She hugged back. We let out of our embrace and looked at each other. After awhile she broke off the staring contest. Looked like she felt awkward. It was cute.

Vernica: So ummm. I'll come after school today.

Craig. Meet me by my car. You walk too much.

I started walking towards the exit.

She chuckled.

Vernica: What's wrong with walking?

Craig: Everything.

She laughed.

Vernica: I'll see you later Craig.

Craig: I look forward to it.

She looked at me and gave me a half smile. I winked at her and walked out. I walked down the hallway feeling pretty damn good.