41

"We talked about it before, Hyunwon." Mr Jeon said quietly. "If we want to keep Jungkook, we have to be nice to him."

"I don't care." Hyunwon crossed his arms. "I wasn't the one who chose to adopt him."

His father nudged his side. "You love him, Hyunwon. Come on, you grew up with him. Brothers get into fights all the time, but that's how you learn to get along."

Hyunwon looked up. His eyes were still red and wet. Mrs Jeon sat on his bed, watching him wearily. But he understood that neither his mom or dad were angry. Everyone just seemed a little too tired.

"It's not fair, Dad." Hyunwon murmured. "I thought...you're supposed to love me more. No matter what. I am your real son. I've never done anything to upset you. I've always done my best. I thought you said that you were proud of me? Why do you love Jungkook more than you love me now?"

Mr Jeon immediately pulled his boy into his arms and hugged him tight. "I am proud of you, Hyunwon. That has not changed, and it will never change. As long as you are my boy, of course I would be proud of you."

Mr Jeon rarely cried. He didn't consider himself as the manliest man, but he tried to be a tough dad for his two boys. Yet, while he had Hyunwon in his arms, Mr Jeon's gaze landed on a dismantled photo frame. The photograph had been meddled with - Hyunwon had carefully cut out Jungkook's picture from a family photo. Something choked him at his throat and he almost burst out crying.

Mrs Jeon must have followed his gaze and noticed the picture too, for she clamped her hands over her mouth urgently and immediately put the remnants of the photo frame face-down on Hyunwon's desk.

"Remember what we talked about?" Mrs Jeon started shakily, trying her best not to break down right there and then. "Your dad and I wanted to repay the world's kindness. You were born so weak that we didn't sleep for months, always worrying about whether you will make it to see the next dawn. And you did! Looking at you fighting for your life, it made us think about other children who don't have moms and dads. Jungkook's one of them. We have the ability to take care of another child, so why don't we bless him with a family, our family?"

Hyunwon scowled. "I don't hate him..." He said quietly. "But I would appreciate it if you didn't make him such a big deal. Like, you are suddenly treating him like a total prince, just because the orphanage possibly wants to take him back? I thought adoption was permanent."

Mrs Jeon patiently explained that yes, indeed, adoption was permanent. They had been transparent to Hyunwon about the orphanage retrieving information about Jungkook's birth family, and how their little boy wasn't a missing child after all. "They promised that they won't confiscate or cancel our adoption because we've taken it to be legalised. But it's still Jungkook's choice. You see, we spent years loving him. I wouldn't want the family who threw him away to take him back. What if they hurt him again? If he stays with us, he will be happy. We can protect him. We are a safe family. His family is not safe. Remember, Hyunwon. That man and his wife threw six children away. Do you reckon that a family like that would be a healthy place for a child to live in? I didn't think so."

Hyunwon stared at his feet, not knowing what to say, and not wanting to refute.

He did love Jungkook.

He'd do anything for his little brother, who was most precious to him. He liked to tease Jungkook about being a dancer, but only he was allowed to do that. If any of his friends, or if he heard any other student in school let slip as much as a little mocking comment about his brother, Hyunwon would spring right up in front of them and teach them a lesson. He had never told his parents about the number of times he spent in the disciplinarian's office, receiving a lecture about proper behaviour because he had beaten up another student.