12 • At His Place

CHAPTER TWELVE: AT HIS PLACE

-

Angel couldn't quite believe it. He really had invited her to his place. She knew that being home in situations like these was extra comforting. And the fact that he had asked ether to stay over proved to her that he felt comfortable with her. That he wanted her to be there for him. As they had been walking home the previous night, she hadn't been able to stop looking at him, a smile glued to her cold face.

Steve's apartment was simple, yet cozy despite the lack of decorations and things laying around. No personal items were to be seen. No old pictures in frames standing or hanging anywhere, no souvenirs from travels. Not even a hint of Christmas decor could be found, much to Angel's astonishment. It looked like a recently finished apartment, ready to be moved in. Only that Steve had already lived here for almost two months. However, he'd been clearly slightly embarrassed by his rather plain home, so Angel had left no comment about it. After a cup of tea and some cuddles, her thin arms wrapped around his broad shoulders, pressing him to her chest until they both fell asleep.

That next morning, Angel woke up to find Steve still laying on her chest, one hand in the crook of her neck, the other on her hip, holding onto her as if he was afraid she'd suddenly change her plans and leave. Of course, the brunette had no such plans in mind. She enjoyed the cold morning, the brightness from outside flooding the tiny bedroom of his that just contained a waist-height dresser and his bed with a nightstand by its right side. A fluffy, white rug covered the wooden floor, perfect to walk around barefoot in the cold months.

Her gaze drifted back to him. His hair was tousled, his face not in her direction. His muscular back heaved steadily and slowly, indicating that he was still comfortably sleeping. Angel let her fingers run through his dark blond hair carefully, playing with it. Steve let out a content sigh, which made her smile. She gazed up at the ceiling now, her head back on the pillow, enjoying the peaceful morning.

The sheets were messy, only halfway covering his body, exposing the bare skin of his back. Angel let her fingertips softly trace the few stretch marks that were deep enough to feel them. She assumed they were the result of his body growing rapidly upon becoming a super-soldier. One of the many aspects about him that would always remind him of his past. A faint ache stung her heart as she gave this a thought.

A few minutes passed until he eventually woke up. Inhaling deeply, he shifted in his position before he finally sat up. Angel hadn't realized how much weight had been on her chest this entire night until it was gone. She pushed herself up, perched on her elbows, watching Steve rub his eyes and stretch his tired limbs, his back and arm muscles flexing in the process. Once again, the brunette asked herself how he could possibly be so effortlessly good-looking. Like a Greek God, she thought, or at least carved by one.

"Good morning," he eventually mumbled, his lips indicating the slightest hint of a content smirk as he gazed down at her. She wore one of his shirts, a white one, which was way too oversized for her rather petite body. His morning voice led shivers down her spine, being as raspy and low as it had been the last time they'd spent the night together. Only that this time, they were merely cuddling and murmuring assuring whispers. Angel's lips curved up into an affectionate smile, her eyes flicked over his face that seemed so much fresher than it had yesterday. The dark circles under his eyes were less noticeable, his eyes themselves bright and blue.