Chapter 4

The café came closer to my view as I turned into the parking lot.

Stepping out of the car and reaching the front tinted-glass doors, the outline of his slim body became easier to see. He opened one of the doors for me and shook his head disappointedly as I stepped into the cafe.

He let go of the door's handle and threw his arm over my shoulders, "You know I hate waiting, why do you always do this? I bet you secretly hate me and pretend to be my best friend so you can know all my secrets." He said dramatically.

"I don't hate you, Meek," I wearily said, rolling my eyes.

"What took you so long to get here anyway? We work on the same floor." He asked, guiding me to our table through the crowd.

"I was taking care of Noel. He had passed out and broke into a sweat."

He guided me to the back of the café and through a narrow hallway with tables on the side. Once we were near our table, he let go of me and continued walking to the opposite side of the table. Taking the open seat next to Pam, he took the seat across from me, next to Becca. I smiled and waved at both the women as they did the same in return.

He moved his chair closer to the table as he sat, "He passed out?"

"Yeah! I was able to get him to his apartment but it wasn't easy because no one was around."

"What happened?" Pam chimed, confused.

"Noel passed out. He was hot, sweaty, and barely had any strength."

"Where is he now?" Becca asked, concerned.

"He's at his apartment right now. He's oddly fine after falling asleep for a while. I'm going to check on him after this."

Pam let out a breath of relief, "That's good to hear! We'll go with you."

Becca grabbed a chip from the middle of the table and took a bite, "That's so weird though. Why would he suddenly act like that?"

The chair on the other side of Pam pulled out and a slender body replaced the emptiness. As he slid the chair toward the table, he tucked his orange curls behind his pale, freckled ear, "What's weird?" He asked, wrapping his arm around Pam's shoulders causing her brownish orange face to become as red as her lipstick.

"You Fred," Becca jokes, tossing a chip at him.

"Ha ha," He responded sarcastically, stuffing the chip he caught into his mouth.

"W-we were talking about Noel," Pam stuttered, trying to ignore their closeness.

They're so cute. They're always this close to each other yet she can never stop blushing. It's obvious he's nervous too based on how he's fidgeting his leg under the table.

She filled in Fred with what happened as I leaned toward Meek, "Do you think they'll ever date?" I whispered.

"Probably not, he's an idiot," he whispered back.

I gasped, "That's rude! Don't underestimate him!"

"How am I being rude? This is supposed to be their first date and the dumbass invited everyone to it. I'm surprised Pam didn't burst into tears after asking him out, instead she just went along with it."

"It's truly sad."

The waiter cleared his throat and we all turned to look at him, "Are you guys ready to order now?"

We all looked at one another and everyone nodded, except for Fred who just shrugged.

Meek turned back to the waiter and smiled, "Yes we are! Thank you so much for being patient with us."