Chapter 2 : Finding Food

I woke up at the break of dawn with a heavy head. the hut I built was dark. I pranced around the room, groping on the walls until my hand reached the dying torch I left overnight. Deciding to re-light the fire later at the end of the day, I opened the door and felt the cool morning air against my skin. I stretched my square arms and felt a... queer sensation in my lower chest.

I thought I had been wounded, but the skin under my shirt was fine. Then, I could hear low rumbling sounds, as if my body was grumbling at me. I realized I was hungry. I need food. I looked in my little hut, and knew there was nothing to eat. So I instinctively returned to where I harvested wood, at the edge of the forest.

At the site, I looked around to see if there was anything edible. I heard a little noise near the trees, to my right. I looked and saw a little creature. It was blocky but full of white feathers. Its head lifted and I could see a red crown (not the crown as in a king's crown, but rather the red floppy thing on a chicken's head) on the top of its head and a pointy (or not-so-pointy) yellow beak.

It watched me intently and before I could react, it sprinted towards the plains on its 2 little feet, trying to get away from me. For such a small creature, it was incredibly fast and nimble. I broke off in a run and chased after it. The creature zipped left and right, determined to lose me. I chased it for many moments until I could run no more. As I stopped to rest, the white creature ran off to where the sun sets.

Disappointed, I sat down on the grass, drenched in sweat. I looked up and saw that it was already past midday. feeling weak, I returned to the edge of the forest. I weakly shuffled over and noticed a red circular (still blocky) item on the grass. Intrigued, I picked it up. It looked edible. Perhaps... I took a small bite and realized it was sweet and juicy. Overcome with hunger, I quickly chomped it down. Feeling better, I looked around for more and realized that there were more than a few of these scattered around on the ground.

Overjoyed, I ran around, picking each and every one of the 'apples'. The word popped into my head. Up to now, I had never known the names of any of these items. 'Chicken'. I suddenly knew what that the little white creature I chased earlier was. Hundreds of names came filling my head. Cows, pigs, carrots, wheat, iron, gold, and many, many more. I was confused at first, but my mind quickly sorted things out and it was as if I had known these things for years.

With my belly and my mind full, I walked back home as the sun started to set on the west horizon. I relighted my torch and happily fell asleep on my bed of straw.