Chapter 3 : Encounter

I woke up from my sleep. I thought it was morning, but I couldn't see anything outside the door and my torch was dimming. I sat up and squinted my eyes. I thought I had heard something. In the dark and gloomy room, I stayed still, my heart starting to race. *moan* There it was again! I tried listening for more sounds, but it was completely quiet.

I sat there in the dark corner, listening intently, curious but afraid. Then I heard it again: another moan, but now accompanied with a cracking and shuffling sound. It stopped for a while, but then the sounds appeared again, louder and closer. I thought something was outside the hut, drawn by the light emitted from my dying torch. Sweat was starting to drip off my forehead. I was starting to get scared. Fighting off my fear, I quickly sharpened a long wooden stick and went to investigate.

I opened the door as quietly as I could and stepped outside. My eyes scanned the dark horizon. The only source of light was the night moon and the dying torch from inside my hut. I thought I saw something move and I slowly walked to the side of my hut, my long stabbing stick ready in hand. I had just turned the corner when a foul creature jumped at me, knocking me to the ground. It was green and humanoid. I kicked away the monster and scrambled back on my feet, my wooden spear poised and ready to thrust.

I watched in fright as it shuffled back up on its feet and started coming at me. Without thinking, I thrust my hand forward, stabbing the creature in the chest. It staggered back and pulled my spear away from my grip. I came at me again and I desperately pushed it away. It fell down on its back, and I made sure it stayed down with my body. I stepped on it, pulled out my spear lodged in its chest and thrust my spear into its disgusting head, delivering the killing blow.

Exhausted, I scanned the environment, and saw just what I feared. The plains were full of them. They all spotted me, and I hastily scrambled back to my hut. I slammed the door and blocked it with wooden planks. They accumulated at my door and were trying to break it down. They banged their fists on the door. I thought I was going to be a goner when I heard them moan and scream in what seemed to be pain. I dared myself to look out my door in curiosity, and I saw their weakness: Sun.

The Sun rose over the east and the foul creatures started burning. Soon, there was nothing left of those disgusting 'zombies'. Another word popped in my head. Relieved, I laid my head on my bed and fell into deep sleep, only to wake up in the evening. And then I heard it.