Chapter 9 : Diamonds!

Upon reaching it, I tried swinging my pickaxe at the diamonds, but to no avail, for not even the smallest crack appeared. I was confused. If I couldn't mine the block, how could I possibly learn how to mold it? We built a little room to rest and using the stones we gathered, Stella built a furnace. She then filled the top with iron ores and the bottom with coal, which she lit up. The room glowed a warm yellow from the flames of the burning coal. Soon enough, the ores started to melt. Taking the top layer and removing the slag in the bottom, she formed numerous ingots we could use for our tools. With the iron, Stella crafted an iron pickaxes, which we proceeded to mine the diamonds with. Proud of our haul, we headed for the exit.

We were halfway through when a hissing creature exploded behind us, sending us flying towards the wall. None of is were hurt badly, but the explosion left a considerably large crater. We unsheathed our swords and slowly advanced to the exit, expecting more to appear and ambush us. Soon, our found out that our expectations were true. Near the cave mouth, a legion of undead were roaming about. Accompanying them were a group of green creatures with four stubby legs and huge dark eyes. Immediately, their name popped into my mind: creepers. I knew they were the source of the explosion earlier.

After deciding that we couldn't take them head on, we huddled in a dark corner and planned our escape. Both of us agree that there would have to be a decoy, or a lure to drive them off for a safe path for there was no other exit. We racked our brains for several minutes, but nothing would come up. Suddenly, I had an idea. We had to argue about it, but I won nonetheless.

Since most of the enemy were undead, we decided that moving at dawn break would be safest, so we cautiously slept to kill time and rest at the same time. By the time we woke up, the exit was bright and most of the undead were veering away from it. Soon, it would be time to set our plans in motion. We gathered all our supplies and prepared several pebbles to throw. I told her to get as close to the exit as she can while becoming one with the shadows. I snuck off in the other direction towards the heart of the cave and waited. Stella signalled at me, saying she was ready as she fell to a crouching position, ready to spring out in a moment's notice.

I prepared myself and tossed a pebble at a zombie, and seeing no reaction at all, I tossed another one at a nearby skeleton. The bony figure didn't respond either, so that left me with only one choice left: to aim at the pack of creepers. I somehow understood that they were impatient and easily angered, and used that to my advantage. I flung the stone high up and hit a creeper on the head.

It hissed angrily but soon went on its business of roaming about. I tossed another stone at its head, angering the green creature. It stomped to the pack to see who did it, but only managed to anger and agitate its company. My hand was poised and ready to deliver another hit when I noticed a skeleton approaching the excited pack. I grabbed my bow and arrow I claimed from a "dead" skeleton on the way out and shot an arrow at the creeper's back. Enraged, the creeper flung itself at the skeleton, thinking he was the culprit, and exploded, killing the skeleton along with some of the undeads. Soon a fight broke out and all hell broke loose.

We escaped.