Chapter 4: Heaven On a Landslide

It's a bright and sunny day in the city. Bayonetta and Jeanne stroll about the bustling streets of downtown. All eyes are on them, not only because of their towering statures over everyone, but also their elaborate couture outfits. Jeanne's sporting a striking pearl white sequin tweed, fitted blazer-inspired dress, with pearl-embroidered lapel features and it's fastened with a single embellished button. Her outfit is paired with white, low-heel, open-toe, slingback sandals with a gold clutch in hand. Bayonetta's in a black, fitted bodice with a deep plunging, jeweled neckline and slender sleeves. Shimmering gold vines adorn the lovely curves of her bust, midriff and hips while the contrasting skirt sluices to a narrow finish at her feet, showing off her black suede pumps which peeks out with every step. The open overskirt sports a ruffle at the waist and wing-like pleats that ripple to full-length. The wind catches her skirt and she appears as if she's gliding down the sidewalk. Pedestrians part like the sea as the two of them approach an upscale restaurant for brunch. They meet with the cheery maître d' who greets them both with a huge smile and faint fake French accent.

"Hi and welcome to Ange Amour," she grins. "Will it be just the two of you today?"

"Yes," smiles Jeanne.

"Right this way, ladies."

They follow close behind the maître d' as she shows them to their table on the outside patio. Bayonetta and Jeanne both sit down in unison.

"You're waiter will be with you both shortly."

"Thank you," nods Jeanne.

Bayonetta seems distracted as she stares out at the traffic. Jeanne cocks an eyebrow. The waiter comes over and hands them their menus. He's nothing more than a buzzing in Bayonetta's ear as he rattles off the specials for the day and makes small talk with Jeanne. Bayonetta plays her encounter with Vergil over and over in her head. She can hear his voice echoing in the wind.

"Cereza!"

Bayonetta snaps out of it.

"Hmm?"

"What type of mimosa did you want?" Jeanne asks, slightly annoyed.

Bayonetta eyes glaze over the menu quickly.

"I'll have the grapefruit rosé and your Flaugnarde with Pears, please."

"Excellent choices, miss," says the waiter as he takes their menus. "I'll be back with two waters and your drinks."

"Splendid."

Once he's out of sight, Jeanne's eyes narrow in on Bayonetta.

"Cereza, what's going on with you? You've been in a haze all morning."

"Oh, it's nothing."

"It's not ever 'nothing' when it comes to you, Cereza."

Jeanne gingerly places her hand on top of Bayonetta's.

"What's going on?"

Bayonetta retracts her hand and sighs heavily.

"I encountered a man..."

Jeanne sits back slightly concerned, "Alright."

"...But he was also a demon."

Jeanne listens intently. The waiter gives them both their drinks and then leaves.

"And he was something that I've never experienced before."

"Well, who is he,'' Jeanne asks inquisitively. "Is he someone we've heard of before?"

"Only in whispers. The Sons of Sparda."

Jeanne takes a moment to think, then her eyes jut open recognizing the title!