Chapter 8

The school bell rang, the classes started. The students were in their respective classrooms. It seems like another tiring day for students with overloaded school work.

It's break time already. Amber's teacher didn't dismiss them yet. She checked the clock, her bag and grabbed the piece of paper as soon as the teacher said goodbye. Her classmates left the classroom hurriedly and went down to the canteen.

Meanwhile, Amber kept the paper she had grabbed in her bag earlier and peeked at Asher's room. No one was in there, so she went down and bought a snack in the canteen. On her way back to her classroom, she saw one of Asher's classmates and asked him, "Hi Jacob, can I ask you a favor?"

"Oh, it's you, Amber. You did great at shows the other day." Jacob said with a smile on his face. Amber just smiled at the compliment.

"Oh, by the way, what was the favor?" Jacob added.

"Can you hand this to Asher? Please don't open it." Amber said while handing the paper to him.

"Ah, that's it? I'll give it to him later". Jacob said. He put it in his pocket.

Fay sees Amber with Jacob and calls her, saying, "Amber come here."

"Ohh, all right then. I have to leave. Fay is calling me. Thanks again." Amber said to Jacob. He nodded to Amber.

Amber ran to Fay, who was leaning on the corner of the shady white hallway.

Fay started randomly teasing her, saying, "Hey, what's in that paper again? Maybe it's another poem that you made for Asher."

"What if I say yes? It's for Asher again," Amber said.

"Hey, Bestie, when will I be able to receive a poem from you because it's purely for Asher, and he's always the subject of your poems. and it will be beautiful if I'm the topic of your poem" Fay

"I think you need to go to the mental hospital cause you're so crazy." Amber

"Kidding aside, I'm glad that he makes you smile, and I notice that lately you've been motivated to write poems. I love it,'' Fay said while smiling.

"Thank you, bestie," Amber said.

"Let's go to the classroom," Fay said while clinging her hands with Amber's arm.

Jacob arrived in his classroom a few minutes later. He saw Asher sitting in his chair from the door, so he shouted Asher's name and ran towards him. saying, "Asher, Amber wants to give you this, here read it."

When their classmate heard Jacob shout, they went to Asher's place and watched what was happening. One of their classmates said, "Asher, what's written inside. Read that already". The rest of the students in the classroom agreed.

Asher is irritated by all the noise, so he opens it slightly and says, "She just wrote nonsense here. There's nothing special, so go back to your seats.

One of his classmates shouted, saying, "really, or maybe you are just hiding something written there." The classroom seemed to be a marketplace now; their voices were so loud some were murmuring about Asher and Amber, and some were talking about Asher's ex-girlfriend.

The teacher arrived, and the students immediately went back to their seats. The room was ghost-quiet except for the squeal coming from the chalk skipping along the blackboard and the murmuring of the students from the back of the room.

While their teacher was speaking, Asher looked to see if his classmates were looking at him and were sure that he had no eyes looking at him. he took the paper given by Amber and put it in his pocket with a smirk.

After hours of the teacher discussing, she decided to dismiss the class for lunch. The hallway is filled with many students walking and murmuring to each other.

Asher and Amber came out of their room at the same time. Asher averted his eyes from her. Amber waved at him, but he turned his back at her.

"Michael, wait for me," Asher said when he turned his back from her.

Michael heard Asher's voice, so he waited for him and back-hugged him.

Michael seems to notice that he is avoiding Amber, so he asks him, "Are you avoiding Amber? I saw her wave at you earlier, but you turned your back to her".

"Uhm, of course, no, I didn't see her earlier," Asher said.

"I know you, Asher, it's obvious the way you act, and your eyes say it all. I know you badly want to hang up with her," he said in his mind.

"Okay, bro, let's go and eat," He said to Asher. Asher nodded and went inside the cafeteria.

On the school field, Fay left Amber to buy lunch. A few minutes later, Fay came back and saw that Amber was stunned as if she was thinking.

Fay gives Amber the food saying, "Amber, this is the food, let's eat."

"Okay, thank you," Amber said.

After a few moments, Amber was still not eating. Fay noticed that she was still quiet and seemed to be deep in thought. So she approached her, saying, "Hey, eat now, don't think about what happened earlier; I know that Asher turned his back on you earlier."

But she still didn't speak, "I think it's happier talking to a ghost than the woman next to me, no one answering me. Is she still alive?." Fay said in her mind.

She grabbed her phone in her pocket and started searching for Asher's name in her contacts. She was hesitant to message Asher, so she repeatedly typed something and immediately deleted it. Until she had sent the words, "Asher, why do you keep ignoring me? I have done nothing to you".

She peeks on the phone amber is holding and sees that she messaged Asher, so she puts down her food and approaches her, saying, "Bestie, why do you keep staring at your phone? Stop hoping that he'll reply to you. It's obvious that he is avoiding you after you confessed to him on the curtain call the other day. If he doesn't want you, then it's not your loss; it's his''.

"Fay, stop it," Amber said.

"I'm not kidding, I don't want my best friend to be sad or hurt, so I'm saying this to you. I'll continue to support you on whatever you want to do to win his heart but remember this once I feel that you're hurting already, you'll stop it, okay?" Fay said. Amber immediately hugged Fay.

"Shall we eat now?. I'm hungry." Fay said; Amber nodded. Amber ate all the food Fay bought earlier, and they enjoyed it.

A few hours later, It's already dismissal. The students were leaving the university. Amber and Fay were eating street food in front of the school, and they looked so happy.

Asher was in the library, she peeked at the young man, and he saw Amber from afar and smiled. He grabbed his phone from his pocket and took a photo of her. He then noticed that Amber messaged her earlier; he looked at it and said to himself the words, "Amber, you look so happy and beautiful. I hope you're doing fine. If you only knew that I'm doing this to protect you, and so that Andree won't hurt you anymore because you don't deserve that. If you only knew that I keep all the poems you send me, I hope you know that I do this all for you. I'm sorry. "