Chapter Eighteen

The Alpha of the Ice Moon Pack is my mate. The most brutal pack in North America. The most brutal Alpha. Without a word, I begin to run back. I want to escape from everything, but there's no safe space for me to go. He runs flank for a bit, then overtakes me to the point position. He can easily follow our scents back to the clinic.

We emerge at the edge of the forest, and two sets of clothes are waiting for us. I grab the set that has my scent with my teeth, and go behind the nearest tree. Shifting, I start to get dressed. There's a dark gray pair of jogger pants and a simple lilac colored shirt. Bless Kristy - there's a hair tie in one of the pockets. My hair feels frizzy and oily, so I throw it up in what I'm sure is a very messy bun.

I was kind of hoping to look a little more put together, when I finally met my mate, so that has worked out splendidly so far. I try not to imagine what I looked like when he found me in the woods - probably similar to Carrie fresh from the prom. I probably smelled like her too. At least I'm now in clean clothes.

When I emerge, he's waiting for me, wearing the clothes he was in earlier. He has a soft looking maroon t-shirt that hints at his strong chest and hugs the tops of his huge biceps. Goddess help me. Worn jeans complete his look. When I reach him, he turns to face me.

"Are you alright?" he rumbles. I repress a shiver of pleasure at the deep sound of his voice.

I peek up at his eyes, which are no longer amber, but hazel. A mix of colors, like his wolf. Before my wolf can emerge and embarrass us, I answer him. "No." My voice cracks on the single word, and I shake my head at my lack of emotional control. I clear my throat. "I need to talk to Iris."

He nods his head, and turns to walk back to the clinic, me in his wake. My eyes naturally find their way to his broad back, and subsequently, his ass. I try to exhale as quietly as I can, as I force my eyes to the sky. Goddess, what a man. He's so large, and expertly sculpted.

As we walk in, a group of people are waiting for us. Closest to us are Alpha Jeffrey. And Alex.

Instinctively, I reach out and grip the crook of Titus' arm and move closer to him in one movement. I'm distracted for a moment, because, goddess, the solid feel of his bicep. Not to mention the electricity that runs through my body, as I touch his skin. Titus looks back at me with a furrowed brow, and I drop my hand quickly, though still staying close.

My wolf growls at me, annoyed for letting him go. I'm annoyed at myself for how weak I feel myself being. I know I'm strong and I refuse to let Alex know he's gotten to me. Because if I admit it to myself, he has. Everything has gone exactly according to his plan, from what I've seen so far. I have to figure out how to expose him, without getting anyone else hurt in his crosshairs.

Alpha Jeffrey addresses Titus - not sparing a glance at me, "Alpha Granger, I see your mate has recovered. Excellent. We have a fantastic medical staff in our pack clinic. We'll go over that in a more detailed tour of the territory, when the other packs arrive."

"If only your patrols were as skilled." Titus replies, bluntly.

Alpha Jeffrey seems to bristle at that, and scratches his neck uncomfortably. "Yes, well..."

Alex interrupts, "We've increased the patrols around the territory." He locks eyes with me and I find myself apoplectic that he could so brazenly look at me, after what he did. His total lack of fear concerns me. "It's a tragedy what happened to the other poor girl, I'm thankful that you were able to get to Sarah in time to save her. She's been a beneficial addition to the pack house recently." He smiles directly at me.

I try to keep my face as neutral as possible, but feel myself shaking with rage. That poor girl, huh? Surprising me, Titus puts an arm around my waist, and pulls me gently to his side. It feels so natural. Calmness and desire flows through me at once, and my shaking subsides. He just stares at Alex without saying a word. A small bloom of satisfaction rises in me, when Alex has to look away from his gaze, to the floor. Damn right.