Chapter Twenty-Three

I walk up to Kristy's house, carrying my gym bag for later with Reg, my guards in tow, as well.

"So are you guys my official guards now?" I turn to look back at them, asking tentatively.

Sam and Paul were dispatched again to accompany me. As soon as Titus and I shifted and got dressed, another of his pack members was waiting for him with some kind of pack business.

I told him my plans to go to Kristy's house and he immediately mind linked Sam and Paul to accompany me. When they arrived moments later, he gazed into my eyes and caressed my cheek.

"See you tonight." He rumbled.

Every muscle in my nether regions clenched at his words, and he turned and walked away. Goddess. I needed to get it under control.

It's okay. He can control us. And it will be delicious. I rolled my eyes at her, but couldn't deny she's probably right.

I told my guards that I needed to grab a bag, and then we were on our way.

Back to my question to Sam and Paul, Paul dutifully replies, "We'll be guarding you until we get back to our territory."

Sam looks at me warmly and says, "Once we're in our territory, you won't need guards. Our entire pack will happily take up that initiative themselves."

A jolt of surprise zaps through me. The whole pack would protect me? Happily? I mean, sure, Alphas and Lunas are supposed to protect the pack with their lives and vice versa, but I've never really thought about that, because in Clear Lake, all those words just seemed to be ceremony. Tradition.

Aren't there warriors and patrols for that purpose now? From what Sam just said, it sounds like Ice Moon takes it very seriously.

Will they really happily accept me? There's a part of me that doesn't want to have to rely on anyone's protection. I want to always be able to protect myself. I readjust my gym bag on my shoulder, as we reach Kristy's house.

I turn back toward my guards, "Kristy and her mom should be home from work in the next few minutes, but her dad is home. I'll probably be here for a few hours, then I'm heading to the training center a little before 9."

"Mind link if you need us, Luna," Sam tells me.

"Same to you." I tell them, with a smile.

Kristy's dad lets me in the house, before I can knock.

"Hi, Mr. Ernie," I grin at him. He and I aren't close, but it's impossible not to like him. He's the daddest of all dads.

"The girls will be back shortly." He informs me, as he gives me the classic dad side hug. "We were really worried about you, after the attack. I'm so glad you're okay."

I clear the sudden emotion from my throat. "Thanks. Me too."

He swings his arms awkwardly, "Well, Kat and I are going out to dinner with some friends. I ordered just about everything off the menu from the Chinese place down the road, for you and Kris." His eyes flick to my mark. "Oh, and congratulations on finding your mate. I'm sure you'll get the 3rd degree, once Kris gets here."

He whispers conspiratorially, "Which is one of the reasons Kat and I are eating out." He grimaces and I laugh. Poor Mr. Ernie. He's not a fan of girl talk, but unfortunately, that's the only language that Kristy has spoken since probably middle school.

The door bursts open and Kristy flies through, followed by an exasperated Katherine and what looks like a confused take out delivery person. Kris stops right in front of me, with her hands on her hips. She looks pointedly at my mark and back at my face, assessing me, "You have a lot of explaining to do, mister!"