Chapter Twenty Eight

Chae Yoon's POV

It felt like my heart just struck a big blow inside my chest the moment I saw Yoo Jin Woo. I don't exactly know how I was able to compose myself earlier. Said those words to him so calmly, and pretended like I didn't know him.

For God's sake, how could I even forget him!?

How could I forget the person who crashed my world into pieces a year ago? The person who left me with so many unanswered questions? The person who made me feel like I was the most unimportant human being alive? The person who made me feel like I was being killed by a sharp knife every day and every night for nearly six months? The person who made me feel the worst feelings I didn't know I would ever feel?

The moment I finally got out of the grocery mall's exit door, I wasn't able to hold my emotions anymore that I immediately lean my hand against the building's wall to have support for my wobbled legs. I feel like I was dying again. I feel so suffocated that I couldn't breathe. My throat got so dry as if I was so dehydrated for how many days.

I want to release tears from my eyes, but nothing's coming out. God, please, spare me.

"Chaeyoonssi!" A shouting voice I heard along with loud steps coming closer to me.

I don't even have enough strength to turn my head up. I feel like at any moment, I'm going to collapse that I didn't notice the paper bag I was holding already slipped from my hand.

It's been a year, but the pain is still here, deeply buried inside my whole being.

"Hey, are you okay?" He caught me behind, caging me around his broad arms. "Come on, let's go to the car." Jung Woo Sung helped me to stand up straight and guided me to where he parked our police car.

After patrolling around the street together, I told him that I needed to buy something in the grocery mall before he could go back to our precinct and drop me at the bus station. I didn't know that on this late afternoon after a long tiring day at work, I would see the man I've been trying to erase in my life and in my heart.

I don't have any idea that he had already come back. Why the fucking hell did he come back? What for? To ruin my life again when I'm already starting to move on from the horrible past with him? After all, was that really easy for him?

Never have I thought that I'd get bumped into him today at the very exact place where we fucking first met. It was like a rewind from the past that I don't ever want to remember, ever again.

...Finally settled inside the car, I tried to calm down my nerves and the hysterical beating of my heart. I deeply close my eyes. Though all my libs were shaking, I rubbed my palms over my face and let out a heavy sigh, trying to manage everything I was feeling.

"What happened, Chaeyoonssi?"

I was still struggling with my emotions, so I wasn't able to answer him.

"Chaeyoonssi?"

I just only shook my head and gulp hard.

"Dammit! Can you please answer me!?" Jung Woo Sung worriedly exclaimed.

I gaze my eyes at the car key he's holding and took it from him to start the engine of the police car myself, but he stopped me by the wrist.

"No! We're not going to leave unless you'll tell me what happened! You sound okay when I called you a few mins ago, but now, why are you acting like this?"

I don't have a choice, but to answer him. I know that he's serious with his words. So, with a trembling voice, I collected all my strength together to let out words from my mouth.