Me? Love Her? Ha! - Opening

Description: Cody has been haunted all his life by one persistant girl - yet when he suddenly finds her drifting out of his life, will he face the truth before its too late?

Rating: PG - 13 for mild swearing and tension - filled moments

A/N: if eccentric, extremely weird, unrealistic characters mixed together with a high-energy storyline, hilarious coincidences, and ironic emotions do not appeal to you, then skip to the next story. You have been forewarned ;D

O P E N I N G

The boy stood frozen, his breath catching as the girl stuck a pointed finger between his eyes.

"I love you!" she shouted, her little face fixed with such stubbornness and determination that it sounded as if she were challenging him to a wrestling match rather than declaring her romantic affection.

The boy stared at the offending finger, which was held an inch from his face. As the seconds ticked by in awkward silence, he blinked, realizing that the girl was waiting for a reply.

"Umm..." he began, watching as her eyes widened in anticipation. "I...well...I don't really love you back. I don't know you."

The girl's hand lowered, her face filled with such pain and shock it was like he had physically slapped her.

"You don't...love..." she began to sniffle as tears gathered in her blue eyes.

The boy frowned. What was with girls and crying?

"No, I don't love you."

"Do you...hate me?"

He took a step back, totally bewildered at the change of subject.

"What? Why would I hate you?"

The girl's features rapidly transformed from utter despair to exuberant happiness. She began to squeal, jumping about as her fists made victory pumps in the air. The boy backed away at this, watching with a mixture of fear and confusion as this alien species called the opposite sex celebrated.

"Cody loves me! Cody loves me!" she exclaimed. Then, with the force of a running bear, she tackled her bewildered friend in a bone-crushing hug. The boy gasped and, in a final effort, cried out to the only savior known to man.

"MOMMA!"

A young woman rushed forward, her features portraying motherly worry as she looked for her son. Then, as her eyes caught view of the tangled bundle struggling on the floor, a hand fled to her lips, followed by a badly-restrained laugh.

"Lynette, dear, Cody and I have to go home and eat lunch now. I'm sorry we have to leave so soon, but tomorrow both of you will meet at kindergarten, yes?"

The girl slowly detached herself from the boy's back, who immediately took cover behind the young woman's skirt. As they began to leave, the boy snuck a wary glance back at his attacker, and a dreadful foreboding filled his gut, one that he knew would not go away for a long, long time.

The girl's energetic form bounced on the playground sand, her hands waving with the astounding speed of a chipmunk on caffeine as she watched the departing car.

"Bye bye, Cody!" she called. "Bye bye!"

"Dude."

Cody snapped out of his reminisce, discovering his friend's brown eyes staring at him in slight concern, which, after a moment, flashed a teasing glint.