Billionaire Love - Part Three

Max snapped his briefcase shut, a heavy sigh escaping his mouth. He looked about his room, scanning for any hints of messiness or suspicious articles.

His mother would notice his absence after a couple of days - unless she had something planned for him (which he prayed would not happen). His leaving needed to be quiet, untraceable. Then, and only then, would he be ensured of no unwanted followers.

He stepped in front of the mirror, grunting at the morning tornado of hair that greeted him.

He had not received a message since yesterday, when he was in the closet with Clemein.

'In the closet with Clemein.' God save my hide if Mother hears that one.

Max's eyes strayed to the black suit hanging on his door. He could almost feel her closeness, her silver eyes melting into his, her lips hovering millimeters away in agonizing silence. He had almost broken conduct. Giving into the sweet temptations that presented themselves, he had almost pulled her in, embraced her, loved her-

Defiled her.

Max froze.

Yes. He had never so completely underestimated the longings of a man - or the powers of a woman. Who knew what else she could do...

A laugh escaped as the boy realized his train of thought.

What? Was he now vilifying Clemein? Making her some evil seductress out for his money? It was obvious that she didn't want him, let alone be in the same room with him.

No, she was too good, too innocent to be matched with someone like himself.

The tell-tale vibration sounded on his dresser, and Max turned to pick up his phone.

Finally. He had been waiting so long he was afraid that something had happened to his correspondent. Gadsen was never one to break off contact for more than an hour - especially when the stakes were so high.

Maximus smiled. Gadsden was an interesting individual, one who persistently tried to break through Max's distancing formality. He wasn't a friend of course - but his insistence of being "The Great Claden's eyes and ears" caused him to be closer than others.

Max met Gadsen during a criminal conference (long story - one of infiltration and disguise that will not be disclosed). Through a series of twisted events, Gadsen found himself forever in debt to the billionaire's son and was determined to use his "criminal talents" to aid his "boss."

Considering the kid was only fifteen, Max believed his declaration would be short-winded - but Gadsen had stayed with him ever since and had forever since remained loyal.

Max opened his phone, clicking on the message.

Time's ticking, are you on the plane y

He stared. On the plane... yet? Why did Gadsen cut off like that?

The boy closed and reopened his phone, finding the same cut-off message as before, and after a moment of confusion, replied.

Not yet, going now.

A surge of unease pooled in his gut. What happened to Gadsen? Or did anything happen to Gadsen? He could be just making things up, but then again...

Hastily slipping on his suit jacket, Max dropped the phone inside, then paused.

His passport. He needed his passport.

A curse threatened to slip as he realized he left it downstairs.

Please let Mother not have seen it. Please, please....

He made his way down the grand stairway, walking through several rooms (that he thought were quite impractical) before arriving at the double oak doors of the dining hall. The familiar, cold sound of his mother's voice sounded from within.