BOUND TO - chapter 21

Asher's POV:

M: Are they awake?

I walk through to the kitchen where Mason is sat with a whiskey at the counter.

A: And you where the one telling me not to drink in the mornings. It's ten o'clock mate.

Mason scoffs and takes a sip of his drink.

M: Yeah, well after yesterday I need it.

I laugh and shake my head as I pour myself one.

A: Yes, they're awake.

M: They okay?

A: They're shaken up, I didn't expect any less. I spoke to Y/N, she listened but didn't answer, her friend interrupted before she could.

M: What did you tell her?

A: Almost everything.

M: Wow... that must've been tough mate.

A: Well, she deserves to know the truth now.

M: So they gonna stay here til we know it's safe?

A: Yeah, that's the plan. She wasn't too pleased but I'd rather her hate me than risk her life.

Mason pretends to choke on his drink which makes me look up, confused.

M: That's probably the most selfless thing you've ever said.

I scoff at him and stand to look out of the window, the morning glow beaming onto my face, making me shiver as the warmth heats my skin.

I hear footsteps enter the kitchen and I turn round as Mason clears his throat. I straighten up as Y/N stands a little awkwardly by the door. She's changed into the clothes that Davina bought for her. A grey jumper dress with a black cowboy style belt and black boots that she must have found on the shoe rack. She looks stunning.

Y: Is there any chance i could make some toast? Please.

I place down my drink and walk to the bread bin, pulling out a fresh loaf of seeded bread.

A: There's chocolate spread in the cupboard, or if you'd prefer butter and jam, there's some in the fridge.

I point to the right of her to show her where everything is. She nods thankfully and looks down as she walks to the toaster. Mason finishes his drink and leaves the room, allowing me to talk to her privately.

I don't say anything yet, I just sit at the counter, watching her find her way through the drawers and cupboards as she makes her breakfast.

Y: Want any?

She suddenly asks, her back to me as I look up, surprised.

A: No, thank you.

There's another pause before she turns with her plate of toast with jam and sits at the counter opposite me.

Y: I thought about what you told me. I'm sorry you had to go through all that. I spoke to Sylvie, she thinks this is my fault, and to be honest, it is.

A: No, it's definitely not.

She looks up at me, her face slightly puffy from crying. I'm angered that her friend has even said that to her, but I remain calm.

A: She shouldn't have said that. If anything, it's my fault. I should've been honest from the start.

Y: You should have, but I get why you didn't. I don't even know why I'm sticking up for you, but, I can relate to you somehow. I don't think I've ever related to someone so much in my life. Apart from the, yanno, killing.

A: I'd understand if you want to stay away from me while you're staying here.

Her eyes brows furrow slightly as she gazes into my eyes.

Y: The thing is, I don't want that. I can't just forget everything that happened between us, it wasn't much, but it was enough to make me want to know more. What you've told me has changed things a lot, but I'm not ready to give up on you. I might be completely crazy, but... I still want to see you.

I'm lost for words. I thought she was going to say she never wants to speak to me again, but instead... she still wants to see me? My heart speeds up slightly, my eyes never leaving hers.

Y: The thing is, I've never really had anything going for me in my life, brokenness isn't something new to me. You helped me when I didn't know who you really were, you made me feel less scared about my ex.

A: All I'd ever want for you is to feel safe. I thought that if I could get you to like me, you'd  give my life meaning, a breath of fresh air away from all the shit I have to deal with. And you have. I'm honestly a mess, but, I'd really love it if you could, not hate me?

She smiles a little.

Y: I don't think I can ever hate you Ash. And that's my problem.

Y/Ns POV:

I really don't know why I'm saying all this right now, and I should be scared but I'm not. He makes me feel safe, and he has quite literally saved me.

He sits in front of me, hands on the table clasped together with a big grin on his face. I can't help but smile back even after my conversation with Sylvie. I may be making the wrong decision right now, but it feels right.

A: Finish your breakfast, I'll show you around if you'd like?

Y: Okay.

He stands to pour himself another glass of whiskey. How the hell he drinks this early in the morning I do not know.

Y: what about work? I need to speak to Elena she'll be worried sick.

A: I'll message her, I'll say you broke your phone and you have a tummy bug or something.

Y: Wow, lying for you is so easy.

He looks at me blankly, worried that I'm being serious, but as I start to laugh he eases up and rolls his eyes at me.

Maybe being sarcastic with him at the moment probably isn't the best thing.