- Chapter 0 -

Later this morning, John recieved a letter reminding him he had to go to a meeting at the brick factory with his boss, Dane.
That generally wasn't a good sign.
David had reassured him for the past two days, but John was still anxious.

What will happen? Am I getting fired?
John couldn't stop thinking about the meeting. If he lost his job, he would have nothing left, and would become dependent of David - which he didn't want. He started hearing voices in his head, telling him not to go to the meeting, telling him to stay in his safe, comfy apartment.

Knock.

Oh no.

John rushed to the door, looking in the peephole. It was Dane.

Oh no.

"Hey John, are you home?"

No no no no no.
"Hum... y-yes..?"

"It's me, Dane! You comin' to the meeting or not?"

"I... err... yes..?"

"You seem unsure."

"I... no... I... yes... I..."

"Okay see you in five minutes! Later!"

John was shaking. Sweat ran down from his face onto his shirt. He looked liked he had just been punched in the face by a professional wrestler.

John grabbed his coat with hesitation, and wore it over his shoulders. As he opened the door with his key, he felt a rush of cold air from the corridor go through him. He then took a deep breath, and went down the stairs as slow as possible. He felt guilty; he knew there was an elevator - he now had to go through twelve floors.

As he arrived in front of the factory, he saw Dane, shouting at his colleague Sam. He pushed the door open, and Dane turned towards him.

"Hi again, John!"

"Hello sir-"

"We have to talk. And stop shaking."

John looked at his wet and shaky hands, and blamed them for betraying him. He knew this wouldn't be good. It couldn't.
Dane started leading John and Dane towards his office, and started talking to them.

"So, as I was telling Sam, someone in this factory stole sixty-five bricks. And Sam looks guilty."

"N-no sir, I swear I didn't steal anything!", stuttered Sam.

"But the worst thing is, there was someone else too, someone that helped our guilty Sam steal these bricks."

John looked at his boss, scared.
"Are you suggesting..."

"Yes I am."

John knew he didn't do anything, but he also knew that Dane was the most stubborn guy in the world. He tried talking anyways.

"Sir I didn't-"

"You John, are gonna become my detective."

What?

"You will help me find the second person, and in exchange, I might give you a raise..."

"Sir, sorry to ask, but... How much of a raise..?"

Dane looked at John, smiling.
"Let's say... twenty-thousand dollars..."

John was wide-eyed; that was twice more as David's salary - his patience had finally paid off.

"So, John, is that a yes, or a no?"

"I- Yes."

Dane looked satisfied, looked at Sam and then shouted:

"Guards! Take that stealer away!"

Sam started running, but was finally caught by Dane's helpers - and John was lost in his thoughts, smiling.