Chapter One - Headache

Ugh.

This headache was killing Anne. She felt like she was in a fever dream, and her stomach butterflies barely made it better. All she could think about was Marcy, their innocent smile, how they always wanted to learn and was eager to try new things...

 All she could think about was Marcy, their innocent smile, how they always wanted to learn and was eager to try new things

Stop yourself, Anne, it'll just make the headache worse.

Anne frowned as she stared at the blank screen of her phone, looking at her reflection. Staring at the dark screen helped her headache a small bit, but being in a musty old basement wasn't going to cut it. 

Anne sighed heavily and swept her phone away, standing up and stretching. She grabbed a box of bandages and stuffed them in her hair (It could carry about anything).

Anne flicked away a bug that had landed on her and started climbing up the stairs to go get some fresh air. She hoped she didn't run into anyone on the way; don't worry, she loved talking to Sprig and Polly and sometimes even Hop Pop, but today she just needed no human- sorry, frog interaction.

And right as she headed for the front door, here comes jumping over the pink frog that she hoped not to see at this exact moment. 

"Hey, Anne!"

"hi, sprig." Anne's voice was much less cheerful than it usually was, especially when Sprig was nearby. And Sprig seemed to catch up on this.

"Everything alright?" He croaked, cocking his head in concern.

"I just need some fresh air," Anne opened the door. "Alone." She added quickly.

"Oh. Well, if you feel better later, D'you wanna go out for ice cream or something?"

"Maybe." Sprig nodded and Anne left, shutting the door behind her and letting herself breathe for a moment, taking in the familiar but not so familiar world in around her. The small wooden huts swayed in the gentle breeze; pollywogs played and the frog folk talked and laughed and sold their products. She saw Ivy, Sprig's girlfriend, run around, chasing a pretty golden beetle. 

Even though this wasn't her true home, it felt like it sometimes, and she was happy she'd met these people. For a second her headache had faded into nothingness, just part of the abyss. But it came back as soon as she saw Marcy's fwagon parked outside.

Anne's cheeks grew warmer, and a soft pink spread through her face. She felt like knocking on the door, but decided not to. She didn't want to disturb Marcy, or annoy them, so it just felt wrong to go knocking on their door. Her headache pounded her thoughts into oblivion and she walked hastily into the forest.