Chapter Seven - Truth

"I think I love you, Anne."

Anne's face turned so hot that you could fry bacon on her face.

"Wh- What?"

"I think I love you." Marcy made eye contact with Anne, and they held Anne's hand as delicate as they would as if they were holding a priceless artifact.

"I-" But before Anne could say another word, or think at that, Marcy leaned in and gave Anne a peck on the cheek.

"It might be the concussions," laughed Marcy, "But I don't think it is."

The entirety of Anne's brain was screaming right now.

"Uhh, Anne? Amphibia to Anne? Anyone home?" Marcy waved their hand in front of her face, but no response came from the flustered girl. Anne was still processing what in the holy frog had just happened. Her face looked as red as a tomato.

"Uh oh. Did I break you?"

"Yes. Definitely." Anne sighed, chuckling. She gripped at her face.

WHAT.

PLAY IT COOL ANNE, ACT CHILL.

"I love you too, Marcy,"

Marcy smiled, and hugged Anne once again.

Anne's heartbeat raced- but her mind slowed down.

We can scream internally about this when everyone's asleep tonight.

In that moment, they realized the rain had stopped. Everything was silent, a peaceful silence, as heart shaped, glowing mushrooms grew from the ground. Both Anne and Marcy blushed, and Anne returned Marcy's kiss with one of her own.

The two interlocked hands, and even though this was new to them, it felt right.

***

"Oh, frog,"

"Huh?" Anne looked at Marcy.

"It's probably been like, six hours,"

"Oh no, the Plantars must be worried sick!" Anne gasped.

"Well, we'd better go, then," Marcy sighed.

"And Anne?"

"Yeah, Marcy?"

"Will you be my girlfriend?"

"Of course, Mar-Mar."