Chapter Six - Safety

As they cried, Marcy could feel Anne slowly start to pick them up. The rain kept on pounding, pounding so hard Marcy thought about Anne's headache. That thought went away fast- Anne was okay now. 

And even though it was as hard as hail all Marcy could think about was crying. Tears dropped down their face, but the rain washed them away.

Anne brought them back to the large mushroom, the faint pink glow making the pain from the Mosquito attack slightly better. 

Anne sat them down. She plopped herself next to Marcy and motioned for them to lean on her shoulder. Marcy wiped their face and sniffled.

Marcy immediately did so, and tears dripped down the side of Anne's shoulder. Anne ran her hand through Marcy's hair and kept them close. Thirty minutes came and went like that.

Slowly Marcy started to calm down. The tears continued, but they happened less often now. Apart from the rain, Anne's shoulder was completely soaked in salty tears, and maybe a bit of blood.

"Are you okay, Marcy? Do you need anything?" 

The bandages!

Anne instinctively put a random bandage on Marcy's face- which had been cut up. Good thing Anne brought those into the forest with her.

"n-no." Marcy shuddered. They touched the bandage on their face and blushed a bit.

"I'm sorry about that, everything that just happened," Anne apologized.

"No, it isn't your- " Marcy sniffled. "-fault,"

Anne opened her mouth to say something, but decided not to. Self blame would make Marcy even more upset.

They sat in silence, as Anne let Marcy fully calm down. The rain had finally started to stop, but it still was hard as ever. The rain had soothed Marcy as well, but it was mostly because of Anne.

"Anne-" Marcy hesitantly broke the not so silent silence. They fiddled with their gloves.

"Yeah?"

"I-" Marcy's face turned red, and hot to the touch, "I..."

"?"

"I think I love you, Anne."