Chapter Four - Laughter

"Marcy?"

Marcy snapped back to reality, their thoughts starting to run again. Marcy looked up to see Anne, staring down at them.

"Anne? Why are you here?"

"Why are YOU here?" Anne recalled.

"Oh-" Marcy stammered. "-I went to study plants of Amphibia, because they are SO FASCINATING like HAVE YOU SEEN-" They stopped themselves again. "-Ahem; I uh, was studying when I came across this mushroom and fell asleep." Their cheeks became a bit warm.

"Classic Marcy," teased Anne. 

Anne sat down with Marcy, and the two listened to the rain. As they leaned against each other, they could feel the warmth coming from each other and the cold wind the rain was shoving past them wasn't as cold anymore. Marcy continued to study the mushroom and Anne gazed into space as she listened to Marcy's blabbering.

Somehow, even through the midst of knowing anything could happen at that moment, Marcy felt safe. They had always felt safe nearby Anne, and they loved her company always, no matter the time of day or how sick they were or anything.

Marcy tried to lean in a little closer to Anne, putting their head on Anne's shoulder.

This made Anne snap back to reality, and a faint red glazed her face. She closed her eyes and wrapped her arm around Marcy. The two sat there in silence for what seemed like decades, before both of them realized how incredibly awkward this really was for two friends, and they backed away, laughing.

"So- urr.." Anne scratched the back of her head and looked down at her shoes.

"When do you think this rain will stop?" Marcy tried to make it less awkward.

"No idea, actually," Anne shuddered. "What if we're stuck here FOREVER?!"

"You goofball," Marcy giggled.

Oh frog.

They made eye contact with Anne, and their face turned as red as a rose in full bloom. Marcy put their hood on their head, laughing awkwardly. Anne chuckled, curling into a bit more of a ball.

What is it, now, the third time it's been extremely awkward between us? Jeez, I'm surprised Anne hasn't realized it yet.

Suddenly Anne burst into a fit of laughter, and Marcy joined in even though they were unsure why.

"We probably look so-" Anne giggled. "-stupid right now,"

"Hah, yeah, we probably do." Marcy smiled. Their heart was racing.

 Their heart was racing