About Vocal Cord Dysfunction (VCD)

At the end of book 1 you discovered Jimin was diagnosed with VCD.  I proved this information as background of what VCD is for those who do not know.  It can effect singers.

CALL FOR EMERGENCY SERVICES ASAP IF YOU ARE HAVING TROUBLE BREATHING

The following information is not medical advice. As with any issues of breathing, a trained medical professional should be sought out for professional evaluation.

VOCAL CORD DYSFUNCTION (VCD)

VCD is often confused with asthma due the similar symptoms of VCD and asthma. With VCD an individual's vocal cords do not completely open, thus not allowing a person to gain a full breath easily (see picture). With asthma the difficulty is within the lungs. See chart at the bottom of page for differences.

There are different levels of VCD, based on the amount of closure (lack of opening) of the vocal folds when taking in a breath. Due to the vocal cords/folds not opening completely, individuals with VCD can struggle to breathe during an attack.

There is no cure for VCD. However, it is preventable and can be treated.

VCD ATTACK

IF YOU ARE TROUBLE BREATHING SEEK MEDICAL ATTENTION AND PROFESSIONAL EVALUATION

While VCD is not life-threatening, it can feel this way when having a VCD attack. Most people with VCD report a tightness or lump in their throat. This can be painful and many people report making a sound called a 'stridor'. Stridor sounds are different than the wheeze produced by asthma. Stridor sounds occur on the intake of a breath, while wheeze occurs on the outtake of a breath.

TYPES

There are 4 major types of VCD. A person can have more than one type.

Laryngospasm – vocal cords seize or contract

Exercised Induced – during intense exercise the cords move toward each other reducing air flow

Irritant-induced – an environmental trigger causes the vocal cords to contract (allergic reaction)

Stress-induced – contract of the cords due to stress and/or anxiety

TREATMENT

Generally, an immunologist/allergist will treat VCD. However, other medical professionals maybe included such as psychologist, speech-language pathologist and otolaryngologist (ear, nose and throat specialist).

Prevention treatments include speech therapy, reduction/elimination of triggers and psychotherapy (managing stress). During an attack breathing exercises, heliox (helium/oxygen mix) and, only in severe cases, tracheostomy are possible treatments used to control the attack.

LIVING WITH VCD

VCD is not curable but an individual can live a normal life with VCD. With medical professional help, people with VCD will learn how to manage and avoid triggers of VCD. As people learn how to manage their VCD, individuals report that their VCD does not permanently interfere with their day-to-day lives.

MORE INFORMATION ON VCD

Please, Please, Please, make sure any web site you read is linked to a reputable medical providers. Suggested search terms include:

AAAA Vocal Cord Dysfunction

Johns Hopkins Vocal Cord Dysfunction

Cleveland Clinic Vocal Cord Dysfunction