Chapter 80

Late-Afternoon

Bang

I lean on the doorway, watching Jimin sleep. Every once in a while, I start to tear up, I was right, I see things differently now. That little scar on your elbow, I always imagined it came from you falling off a bike or skateboard, every kid gets a skinned elbow at some point, but that is not where your scar came from. Now I look at every mark on your body and wonder.

You only asked to do one activity outside of Big Hits. That was to keep up with your martial arts training, though these days you have switched to boxing. I thought it was a way to keep yourself in shape, but now I think you train so you are still able to defend yourself. Even now, after all this time and all these miles away, you still look over your shoulder all the time don't you.

I also now get your absolute rejection of any medication where you did not take off the safety seal yourself.  How could your mom tell you it was a vitamin, but had switched it out for a prednisone steroid, just so that your face would swell up. Then off to the doctors.  Lots of sympathy for your mom, while you endured numerous tests.

Why you ripped out your IVs at the hospital, makes so much more sense now. And the begging to leave the hospital in that child like voice. Was that you begging your mom to take you with her as she turned off the lights and left for the night? How many nights did you spend alone, scared and hurt?

The nurse approaches me, "His fever is way down, not gone but down. The antibiotics are working well. He will need to be really careful what he eats for a few days till his throat is healed. It is just like any cut, have to keep it clean or it will get infected. All the water he drinks should be boiled first and then cooled, same with the cup he drinks from. I need to call Dr. Suh with an update. He is not asleep but he is a bit groggy; would you mind sitting with him for a few minutes."

I wipe the hair out of his closed eyes, it has become such a familiar movement, I don't even think about it anymore.

Jimin responds, but keeps his eyes closed, as he is curled up on his pillow. "I know, I need a haircut."

In one way, I am glad to hear is voice, but I also know he should be sleeping to let his body heal. "It can wait. I am sure Eun Jung will be glad to give you one once you are up for it."

Jimin smiles, "It's Eun Ae. You are never going to get them right are you."

Bang whispers, "I will tell you a secret. I know which is which, but it is more fun to pretend I do not know,"

This makes Jimin chuckle, "Your secret is safe with me."

We both are quiet for a bit, I thought Jimin had gone back to sleep.

"Bang?"

"Yes?"

"Could I, umm, maybe stay with you for the holidays this year?"

"That depends."

With a touch of sadness, "It's ok if you have plans already. I was just thinking."

"You did not ask me what it depends on Jimin."

"What does it depend on Bang?"

"If you are ok with a really long airplane ride to Canada."

"Can we go first class?" A small tear rolls down Jimin's face.

"Yes, we can. We will have steak with shrimp on top for dinner."

"I love you Bang."

I pick up his hand to hold.