Chapter 8: Tartarus

For the longest time, scientists have theorized that there are an infinite number of different timelines, just like there are an infinite number of different universes. Fortunately, the discovery of portals has confirmed the credibility of the latter. However, even centuries after the first portal was created, there was yet to be a discovery made that confirmed the credibility of alternate timelines. It was, and remains to this day, nothing but a theory.

But of course, the concept of alternate timelines wouldn't have even been brought up if they didn't exist, and they most certainly do. Just because one cannot prove the existence of something doesn't mean that that something never even existed. We already know all about the main timeline, where Alex helped Jesse and his friends defeat the Wither Storm, discovered the truth about her backstory, and went on many new adventures afterwards. However, that was just one timeline among trillions of others. There are a countless number of different timelines, and the reason for that is because none of them are exactly the same. For instance, there could be a timeline where the previous Order of the Stone never split up and continued being the heroes that everyone thought they were. There could be a timeline where Aiden never grew jealous of Jesse and his friends, resulting in the events of the Portal Hallway never happening. There could even be a timeline where PAMA has figured out how to travel to other worlds and has managed to successfully brainwash every single being in the multiverse, making them "useful." The possibilities were endless, which made traversing these timelines very difficult.

And yet, it was no surprise that the Ancients were able to travel to and access different timelines like it was the easiest thing ever. Not even Admins like Romeo, with their seemingly limitless power, could replicate such a feat. It's best to think of the timelines as a single tree with an infinite number of branches. The Ancients existed before space-time even existed, meaning that they were around before there were any timelines, because time itself had not come to exist yet, and as logic dictates, you can't have different timelines without time. When comparing it to the tree metaphor, one could argue that the seed from which the tree grew represents the starting point of reality itself, before time came into existence, and the Ancients resided in that one little seed. Then, there was the Big Bang, and just like that, EVERYTHING came into existence, including time. Since the Ancients were there since the very beginning - and even before that - they witnessed the birth of the first timelines. They watched as each of those timelines sprouted and diverged into different timelines, like the branches of a tree. And as a result, they knew exactly where each specific timeline could be found, how to access them, and how to manipulate them to their own whims. In a way, the Ancients became the caretakers of the tree, and over a very long course of time, they began to abuse their newfound power.

And as luck would have it, one of Herobrine's favorite pastimes was sending his victims to random timelines different from their own. He would watch them try to acclimate to their new surroundings, but due to the stark differences in their new and old timelines, they would find it impossible to do so, and eventually, they would die in various amusing ways, mostly by giving up hope and committing suicide not long after. Herobrine never grew tired of that hobby, so when it was time for him to start his little "game", was it really that big of a surprise for him to send Alex to an alternate timeline where the other version of her died during childbirth?

Yes, there is even a timeline where Alex died while Xara gave birth to her, and it was currently the one where the main Alex was trapped in. In that alternate timeline, Xara fell into a deep depression after the death of her baby and ended up committing suicide. Romeo took pity on Fred and decided to do something that the Romeo in the main timeline would never have done: give up his powers. As a result, Fred and Romeo lived the rest of their lives as normal humans before dying of old age. Romeo never killed Fred, there were no more Admins left in the world, and most importantly of all, the world was never bedrocked over.