CHAPTER 22

ASTRAEA'S POV

ASTRAEA'S POV

"If there is an issue with the guards you have around the place-" I was cut off by Aro.

"That is not the case, I just want them to stop taking breaks all at the same time. My guards are usually better than this." Aro shook his head and tapped his fingers on the edge of his ancient wooden office desk. "Maybe they're getting antsy. We have two newborns who've shaken up the place. Gods know our family love to gossip."

I thought about it for a moment. That would make a ton of sense. When you find out someone new is coming over, you want to get a glimpse of them, introduce yourself. Maybe this was just bad timing and we needed something to help ease the situation. What did families usually do? The Volturi are supposed to be family.

This would be a lot easier if we weren't on the verge of war, wouldn't it?

"Would you feel comfortable throwing a ball at a time like this, tesoro?" Marcus asked our mate. "That is almost always our response to a new member of our elite guard. I remember when Jane and Alec first joined us, then when Felix and Demetri were turned. It would only make sense for their mates to get a chance at introducing themselves to everyone through a ball."

Aro tensed for a second before blowing some air through his hair. "How will we defend the event? If we invite other covens, will they feel safe? I know that the news of the Newborn Army will spread if we invite the Cullens. And that damn girl hasn't turned yet."

He raised some good points. If the guards couldn't defend the court or ballroom and someone attacked.

"You know, I kind of wish that girl actually had died cliff jumping," Caius snarked.

"No comment," Marcus said as he made a valiant attempt at not laughing.

He failed.

"If the two of you used the strong minds that I know you possess, maybe we could figure this out," Aro said sternly as he scratched his eyebrow. "I simply don't see how we can do all of this in a timely matter. What excuse other than showing off Ambrose and Astro to the rest of the community? Our image these days isn't as strong as it used to be, you know."

My face scrunched up in distaste. "That cannot be true, Aro. The world, all of those vampires in the courtyard probably trying to eavesdrop right now, they trust you three. Far more than they'll trust me. If we keep up morale here, the rest will follow."

To be fair, I hadn't been able to learn more about the Volturi these past few days. Aro had insisted on creating an evacuation route for me immediately after the letter had come. Then came the food storage and even plans on if a bomb were being threatened to be dropped on us all. I don't think a vampire could survive a high-pressure bomb, but we're beyond thinking about that right now.

Vampire politics are a thing I'm definitely not looking forward to. Not only am I not a vampire yet, no other vampires know me. We only have the word of the Volturi, who aren't known to keep people human. The trial of Isabella Swan proved that much for sure.