Chapter XI

As the sound of gunshot rang through the air, Rupert and Dave fought hard to hold back their gasps. Tears ran down Dave's face as he buried it in Rupert's chest.

     Rupert stared, not believing what he had just seen. That couldn't have happened... It couldn't...

     Rupert's eyes began to fill with tears, something they rarely did. But his sadness soon turned to pure anger as Henry kicked Charles' body aside. He clenched his teeth and glared at Henry with more hate than he ever had before.

     After Henry turned out of sight, Rupert gently lifted Dave and sprinted to where Charles had fallen. He kneeled, cradling Charles' head in his hands.

     His face was covered in blood, dripping down his neck and onto Rupert's hands.

     His eyes were no longer his, no longer full of joy and happiness. They were now simply lifeless faded green pits, shallow and empty.

     Rupert ran his hand over his eyes, gently closing them. Dave clutched Charles' hand, sobbing.

     "D-did he s-sac-sacrifice himself so H-Henry wouldn't f-find us?" he whimpered.

     "Yeah. He- ... he did..." Rupert pulled Charles onto him, wrapping his arms around his limp body.

    "Thank you, Charles." he whispered, so quietly that only he could hear. The two sat, losing track of time, grieving someone they had never once thought of living without.

    "Oh- oh crap." Thomas' voice stammered from behind. He hurriedly knelt down in front of Rupert.

     "Wh-what happened?"

     "Henry." Rupert growled.

     "He- He said he wouldn't directly kill any of you that lying son of a-" Thomas stopped himself, exhaling calmly through his nose.

     There was silence. "Dya- Do you think he knew he was going to die?" Dave asked Thomas, his voice garbled and his face tear-stained.

     "If you ask me... yeah. He had seemed depressed about.. something, and I noticed he had dried blood on his hands. He had obviously hurt himself, whether he meant to or not, so I think he used this as a way to prove that he loved you guys, and that.. when Henry rejected him, he felt nothing else to live for. Before you ask, I was patrolling the cells next to you when that happened. I wasn't purposefully eavesdropping, promise!"

     A few seconds passed.

     "But being depressed sounds so unlike Charles!"

     "It probably is. If there was something crazy, like, let's say alternate universes, I'd bet this'd be one of the only ones he'd be like this." He suddenly turned pink.

     "Sorry about the spiel. I like giving detailed speeches."

     "No, it's okay," Rupert laughed uneasily, still visibly upset. "I just hope he now thinks it was worth it." Rupert hugged Charles tighter.

     "Do you think it was worth it, Rupert?" Thomas asked.

     Rupert stayed quiet for a few seconds.

     "I would have rather died in his place." He paused. "I do respect his decisions, though."

     Thomas subtly nodded his head. Suddenly, a panicked sounding Swedish accent came over the speakers.

     "Attention! There are government personnel on board the ship! All the prisoners have been freed! There is a government helicopter near the brig! Do not let any non-Toppat anywhere near the brig!" "Sven, we've got government soldiers right outside our doo-mmph!" "BURT!"

     The loudspeakers cut off with a sickening squeal. Thomas looked Rupert in the eyes.

    "You guys need to escape. I'll get Charles on the helicopter, I promise." Rupert's eyebrows furrowed.

     Thomas' big blue eyes pleaded with him.

     "Please. I don't want you guys to die, too." Rupert stared at him for a few seconds before loosening his grip. He lifted Charles into Thomas' arms before standing, reaching for Dave's hand.

     "Thanks, Thomas."

     Rupert smiled. Thomas nodded as Rupert and Dave disappeared down the hallway.